 Gaming / Starship / 69
68  |  70
Subject:
Role playing game as collaborative storytelling (was Re: Rules?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 15:30:09 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Sebastian Persson-Pyykkö writes:
Hi!

I've been checking out the new Starship RPG game and I must say that I am
very interested. One problem though, where are the rules for blowing things
up?  I can't seem to find them on the webpage.

I echo the wisdom of other SMs in pointing out how it is Sector Mediators
who govern how 'blowing things up' works out.

There is a misconception to deal with, and that is that Starship is a combat
game, which, for the bulk of us, it is not.  It is a role playing game,
which means that the emphasis is on story telling.

I have published the (essentially complete) log of HES Sirius in Spraw.  It
shows the backwards and forwards between the player (in this case me, HES
Sirius) and the Sector Mediator (Andrew Engstrom).

http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/spraw/log-sirius.htm

Its a big read, and I am by no means recommending that anyone in their right
mind grapple with the whole thing, but you may see that looking for 'rules'
on how you 'blow stuff up' may be an unnecessary quest.

New Pacific (my sector) works much as Spraw did, although Spraw has a
mission to address, a mystery to solve, and New Pacific does not.  New
Pacific offers new worlds for you to boldly go where you have not gone before...

If this kind of collaborative story telling, for the fun of it, sounds
moderately entertaining, register a ship with the venerable Hendotron, and
steer your bow for New Pacific.

Richard
Still baldly going...