 Gaming / Starship / 68
Re: BrickShelf and Starship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 19:25:44 GMT

The best route to take would be to mention it in the rules.  For example, a
line in the rules might read, "By submitting a ship to be registered, a player
agrees that the Ship Database Manager has rights to display, copy, store, and
resize all images submitted by the player...etc...etc."

Something like that, so that the player retains the copyright, but by joining
he agrees to let all the above happen.  A sort of implied consent, I think.
This way there will be no confusion or conflicts (unless the player neglects to
go over the rules).

Other ideas?
~Andrew~

In lugnet.gaming.starship, John P. Henderson writes:
Okay,

So I've been thinking about some of the recent suggestions to A) keep down
the disk space I dedicate to SS and B) increase the ease of adding new
records to the registry.

On the latter issue, I am building an Access database.  My brother (a
software engineer) has offered to look at what I end up with and try to
develop a means to easily dump it into html that will look like the current
registry.  JHK, I appreciate your offers, but my ISP will not support the
options you mentioned.  :(

On the first issue, I like Dan's idea of me opening a BS account and storing
all the thumbnail images I have there.  But here is the big question:  How
do you, as participants of SS, feel about me copying and storing (and
possibly modifying for size) your images to BS?

I know technically I have already been doing this on my own site.  But the
BS TOS policy is pretty serious about avoiding copyright infringement.
Technically speaking, all the images being used for thumbnails in the Ship
Registry are copyrighted to the respective players.  I guess it has been
implied or accepted that the SS site use such images without violating nor
claiming copyright.  Is it acceptable for me to use these images in my own
BS account?  Do I need to wait for permission from each player?  Should I
add a note to the rules or join pages stating that their images might be
used in this way?

What do we think?

-GM Hendo