 Gaming / Starship / 581
Re: What If...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:20:26 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hey, all

I just had a great thought today... The day before yesterday, I found and played the online version of a text-adventure game: The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. (found here: http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html).

I liked it so much, I decided I’d go down to the library and find a copy of this book. Well, I got it and started reading. It must be a good book, because all the pages were so beat up I sometimes didn’t know what page I was on. Or maybe it was just an old book? Anyway, I love the book, and I heartily reccomend that everyone go out and find a copy to read.

Now, on to my great thought: What if Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect were hitchhiking in the Starship galaxy? Gasp! Could someone actually do that?! So I said to myself, “Self” (because that’s how I always address myself) “why don’t you just go ask the other Starshippers.” So I did.

Here’s how I think I’d handle it:
1) The Hitchhikers would have no ship of their own--that’s the point of hitchhiking, right? Instead, they would have the “Thumb”, otherwise known as a “Sub-Etha signalling device”. This device would have ‘none’ as the value for all the normal ship characteristics. Instead, the device is the means by which the hitchhikers teleport to other ships and catch a ride. Ships (or planets) have to be relatively close for the device to work.

2) The Hitchhikers would also carry (tada) the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the most complete reference book ever published. This electronic device sends out information requests through the sub-etha and returns an answer to a query in moments. After all, if you’re playing as Arthur Dent, you’ve got to have a HHGG, right?

3) Plead and beg the GM to allow me to enter the game with this interesting arrangement.

You’ve all read Hitchhiker, I’m sure, so you all know how much fun this would be, right? OK, I realize not everyone here has heard of HHGG, so If you have any questions...don’t ask me, go read the book! No, really, ask me. I’m not all the way through the book yet, but I sure like it!

So, what do you all think about this one, eh? More controversial than “JumpShips” or no?

Sounds fine to me. You can be the hitch-hiker. I bags running the Vogon Constructor Fleet. MB Vorgons were just MADE for this role, and I even have a ‘survey’ ship for them that’s about 200 blocks away from completion...

Richard
Still baldly going...