 Gaming / Starship / 523
Re: Proposal of Inter-Starship News Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:09:01 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.gaming.starship, folks wrote in favour of newsie stuff.

Not sure I follow gang. How is this different from what we can already post here or on the old board, or on the various boards associated with the various sectors? And posting our own newsie posts here can happen without any additional admin, or need to view additional repositories to get the good stuff.

I understand that there are some who are unable to post to Lugnet, but nothing stops them posting to the old board, and experience suggests that posting to Lugnet is something that can be organised in a relatively short period of time.

And if the argument is that no-one posts to the old board because no-one reads it anymore, I’d have thought that this only reinforces my sense that this board is the one, single and best repository for Starship related stuff. We’d need to believe that we’re going to go read another site as well before we’d believe that our newsie thingie is going to find a readership.

And while I appreciate the enthusiasm of those putting their hands up for roles, I note that most of us are guilty of significant delays in meeting our existing ship and sector work each week (like me right now). This would suggest to me that some of us are either at or beyond our limits already.

Don’t get me wrong, do what you feel and I’m entirely cool with it. I guess I am just keen to make sure we get the most from what we have before we risk over-committing ourselves and losing more than we gain.

If I had a recommendation, I guess it would be that we simply agree a Subject naming protocol (like the ‘Rules talk’ thingie) and create graphicy banners for our publication mastheads and simply ftx them onto our newsie posts here. Anyone who wants to read the news could then simply browse the group or search for appropriately named posts...

Well, it would be our own seperate page or few where the graphics can change and it’s less LUGNETy.

Yes, I have delayed quite a while in the past, but so haven’t we all. Life is unpredicatble. Eventually, the news site would become automatic (or mostly) where a simple form can be filled out and the page updated automatically.

The news page would follow the basic outlines of all other main Starship pages (same colors, background, etc.) but would have posts by “reporters.” It would be password protected in order to post, of course, but would be readable by all. Think Jain’s Guide (wildbrick.comish).

-Dan