 Gaming / Starship / 518
Re: Proposal of Inter-Starship News Service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:35:42 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Dan Mattia wrote:
   In lugnet.gaming.starship, Dan Mattia wrote:
   In lugnet.gaming.starship, Dan Mattia wrote:

   I was thinking last week about a news service for Starship where each SM has a news reporter which reports on local in-sector events. It would be somewhat like Jain’s Guide, only exclusive to Starship.

   Emailed to me by Jeff Shaw

Please post my response to .starship....Thanks.

   I will give space in my domain for this site, an archive, and/or a bbs. whatever the populace agrees on.

Jeff

I have my own domain as well, with enough space (more than enough, actually). The only thing I can’t do is make a forum, as the free one I use (PHP, but you need MYSQL) uses MYSQL, but I only have 1 allowed database, which is in use.

If you can do the BBS, go to http://phpbb.com and see if you can set that up on your site. You need a database though.

Or, if we can work on a PHP form to submit the story and autoupdate the page, that’ll work too.

I like the general idea here, and I think something that just allows simple message posts is fine. A few ideas to add to the list:

1. Perhaps posting should require a password so that only official reporters (i.e. SMs) can post news messages to the site.

2. A form to submit an article should include a headline field for the subject.

3. Perhaps a feedback-type form could be offered elsewhere on the site to allow for non-reporters to submit “editorials” and “commentary”. This could be made public, or to reduce spam posts perhaps give non-SM participants a password that works only on that page.

4. The site should have an obvious link both to the main Starship site and to this newsgroup, and naturally both would return the favor (Once a URL is set up and ready to go live, I can do that easily enough.) It should be made clear somewhere that the new news site is for In Character (IC) news, and the Lugnet group leans toward Out of Character (OOC) discussion.

5. Uh, I can’t remember my fifth idea at this time.

6. It would be extra-cool if the article submission method also allowed a field for an image URL and maybe a caption field. If used, a “reporter” could include a photo of something related to his article (hosted elsewhere). This would be especially good if it would serve to encourage additional building* using our favorite ABS bricks. ...E.g, an SM might build a scene of a command center where an interview took place, or perhaps a scene of mayhem after a PC ship exploded, or maybe a nano-scale showing a 3D satellite view of his homeworld... any of which could be photo’ed, posted on Brickshelf, and then linked to the article.

Just some brainstorming,

-Hendo
  • Regarding all this building I am always encouraging, I will leak the info that yes I am still building, and my latest project is for Starship. I am about 75% done building the FSPC Lafayette, a Franconia Class deep space explorer (sister ship to the FSPC Little Haystack that was recently blown to bits by one of Dan’s ships). IRL, the Lafayette is already the largest vehicle I have yet built. In game, it will be a Player Ship and its images will also serve to represent its class in the fleet of NPC ships in my sectors.