 Gaming / 1168
Re: The Pirate Game at BrickFest 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:52:40 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
First off, as has been mentioned before, this was absolutely the best
game we have played so far. Some contributions to this were:

- We were able to setup Friday night.

   And we were able to change rooms, very important indeed!
   Unfortunately I was not a lot of help, for which I feel
   badly.  (And I forgot sails and rig for my cutters, oi.)

Yes, thanks to the Animation folks for not needing their room. I think
we also gained one or two players who got suckered into the game instead
of playing with animation stuff... But you were a help on Friday. You
came up with a couple alternate palm ideas, and it seems you did some
work on pirate crews.

- Almost all of the participants were able to play the whole game.

   That was definitely a strength--and that very few got
   really discouraged by adversity; Jason Mantor in particular
   was especially fun because his mood never soured, and he
   picked up a new cutter and soldiered on!

One thing which helped keep up interest was a much smoother play, though
it did start to drag at the end (but then several folks were doing
suttling stuff at the same time).

- I really simplified island play. Instead of having major scenario
islands, most islands just had some buried treasure, or a stranded
pirate or two or three. The most time spent on any island was about 5
turns (3 separate islands). None of those islands required heavy
interaction with me.

   I think this has proven that the system for the islands is
   more important than the beauty of the islands--and I liked
   the card idea you broached during the weekend.

Well, beauty of the islands does help set a tone. But agree, the most
important thing is the game aspects, and that they be simple to run.

   I'll take the lumps for that.  I had the most stuff at home
   to build larger ships, and I ran out of time (my bad time
   management) before Fest.  If I'd been thinking, I would at
   least have pulled together the fixings for some Armada Flag-
   ships.

   Next year, of course, I won't be in-country at all; if anyone
   wishes I can loan my cutters to someone (say Chris) and/or my
   hull pieces and island plates so they may be used next year.

If Chris could hold onto your cutters, that would be cool. I wonder if
we could get LD to donate a pirate set or two for prizes. With some
prizes dangling, we might be able to attract people to bring a ship MOC
or two. Next year I'll also scout out possible loaners from the Castle
room if we look short on bigger ships (also, in the future, I would like
to be able to leave my Wolfpack cutters in the Castle room - I could
have this year, except they were some of the few ships with sails).

- I probably made gems a little too valuable (they were word 1d6x10
gold, if a 6 was rolled, they were worth 1d6x100 gold, and if yet
another 6 was rolled, they were worth 1d6x200 gold).

   I noticed this; maybe make the steps x10/x20/x40/x80 or
   some slightly lower exponential?

That might work. What needs to happen most is that island treasures are
worth enough to be worth spending time on islands instead of trying to
capture other ships.

- We didn't have enough range sticks. A combination of the K-8 not being
out Friday, and the sparseness of it meant we had to improvise a bit. I
am thinking about having some 2x4s engraved with numbers to use for
making some range sticks.

   Do you think the HPT guys would allow a bulk discount?  I'd
   be happy to put in $5-$10 for my own range stick.  If you
   want to take up a Pirate Game materials collection, let me
   know.

I need to contact them and find out what the costs are.

I'm thinking that most islands should be small (the 16x16 printed
islands work great, but a few built up islands like the shrine or
Strawberry Island [built from about 10 Duplo bricks - this provided
cover for Larry once] would be nice also). The larger islands are harder
to deal with since they can take several turns to explore. The island we
used as a pirate base turned out to also provide some separation of the
ocean which worked well.

   I liked the tricky navigation.  The idea of having some spaces
   where a cutter can pass but not a class 2 or 3 or more is a
   good one!  I did, however, think that we needed to cut down
   "free moves" from 2 points on the compass to one at the start
   of a move.

That may work out ok, though if that's done, then we definitely need a
way to pass through the wind without losing a turn (at least right now,
you can take a 90 degree turn through the wind at the beginning of your
turn). I need to look at some of my other sailing games and see how they
handle sailing rules.

The time Kai knocked his ship over and sent two crew flying. Followed
shortly by knocking the top of the mast off.

   And hit it with the range stick, and again, and again.  He angered
   the statue gods!

Sure did, though it didn't seem to have much effect after the initial
problems... It might be interesting though to have some effect for
angering the gods...

   The worst part was on the last turn of the ship's life, when I
   shot my cannon in hopes of killing a crewman and instead took down
   the mast (after missing horribly for such a long time).  Then,
   when Nick backstabbed me and my crew was in disarray, I still
   came out on top thanks to "saved luck."  :D

Another reason we need effective chain shot rules. Chain shot doesn't
take down masts (though it can do serious rigging damage).

   And, of course, I knocked my own captain into the sea just as
   my ship went into port to escape the Combined Fleet.  A good
   time was had by all!

There were several "null effect" men over board, your captain being one
of them.

Oh, another thing I really need to work out is beastie rules. If I'm
going to throw land beasts, they need definitive rules (I was letting
the gators save on a 1-4 on one die - I think that's easier than giving
them hit points).

Frank