 Games / 57
Re: LEOG football/soccer field
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 20:22:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.games, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
...the shoot and score has one extra base and a small field square... a couple
of those may also fix the problem but I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah... my thought was to buy two of the sets to get two more "kicking stands"
and one more extra minifig for each team.  The small field square can go back
in my loose parts bin.  Integrating the larger goal (with what appears to be a
goalie with more movement) from the Shoot and Score set might make things
interesting with a bigger field too.

You should definitely try different combinations and placements of players. It
makes it a very different game when you don't have the standard lines of
passing.

Here's an interesting idea: it would make the game go longer, but maybe you
could have a "halftime" when one player gets to 5 points (for a 9 point game)
and rearrange the players on the field at that point?  The player who didn't go
first when placing players at the start of the game gets to go first at
halftime, and the other player gets the ball to start the half.

...You can get a lot of power from a regular player was our problem. The
forward guy would rear back at full strength and at that range it's hard to
react in time if the player is good (changes angle quickly). It mostly helped
to keep us from using full power kicks (which also helped to keep wild shots
in the field most of the time).

The problem we had with shots like this wasn't defending against them, it was
telling whether or not they actually went in (which is a good argument for your
"ball must stay in the goal" rule).  There's a reason for having a soft mesh
net in the goal in real soccer... it stops the ball when it's in the goal and
balls in the goal stay in the goal.  With all the bricks in the back and sides
of the inside of the goal, we had several shots that we were pretty sure went
in, but they bounced out so quickly it was difficult to call if they hit the
side of the goal or the back of the goal.  I'd like to experiment with
redesigning the goal with more mesh netting and fewer exposed bricks.

...But laying them down isn't 'authentic' :-)

Maybe not on *your* planet. :)

Its also easily countered by taking a bit of aim and shooting over the
goalie... after all, there is no time limit to hold long u have to shoot :-)
psych them out

Except that you want to avoid making every shot a penalty shot.  A terrible
"overkill" solution would be introducing a shot clock like in basketball.  You
could use those little clocks they use in chess matches and hit the button on
top after every turnover. :)

--Mike