 Games / 55
Re: LEOG football/soccer field
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 15:06:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

My friend and I each bought a soccer field set (<set:3409>) and spent Saturday
night playing.  We used the parts from the two sets to make one huge field (we
built two identical halves using the suggested field layout from the
directions, then turned the suggested layout sideways and connected our fields
down the middle). The combined field gave us a 11-on-11 game, which was more
challenging than the basic game.

The problem with this set-up: because you're only using two of your four
goalies, you end up with two field pieces without players.  We put the open
field pieces along the sidelines and if the ball went there, the player
defending that side of the field got to flick the ball with his finger
(however, you were not allowed to score in this way... all goals had to be
kicked by minifigs).  Maybe when we see <set:3401> available, we can pick up
some extra minifig kicking stands to fill in the gaps.

In lugnet.games, Stephen F. Roberts writes:
...Set up:
...Start with the field in whatever pattern u want and empty cept for the
goalies.
...Randomly determine who wins the toss, they can either elect to shoot first
or place first (there doesnt seem to be much advantage either way).
...Players alternate placing figs on the field in any open spot. Pay attention
to where u place! You want at least one close to his goal and you do not want
your goal surrounded either! And dont forget those full back positions!

We set up the field to be symmetrical, so the players had no choice about where
to place the players.  To start the game, we rolled the ball in from one
sideline towards the middle of the field (like foosball) or dropped the ball
from above midfield (like hockey).  The ball rolls where it will to start the
game.

...Kicking off:
...On a kick off, the ball goes to the player's fig who is closest to the
middle, but on that player's side of 'the middle line'. We also played that
figs that are actually on the 1/2 way mark can't kick off, its got to be
totally on your side.
...You have to pass on kickoff, no shots on goal.

We did the same.  Shooting on the kickoff wasn't an issue with the bigger
field, because the midfielder who started with the ball didn't have a clear
shot.  With our field layout, no player was actually on the mid-line.

...Playing:
...Duh: no fair playing when the other person isn't ready or paying attention.

I don't think it's a "duh."  No such mercy in our game.  Pay attention, or be
scored on.  You could call "time-out" if you had the ball on offense.

...If a player kicks the ball out of bounds, it returns to the closest fig of
the other player.

Our rule was that the ball always went to the other team's goalie for all
out-of-bounds balls.  Not true to the real soccer rules, but we didn't have too
many sideline out-of-bounds balls anyway.

...If it hits someone's hand cuz they left their hand in the field, the ball
goes to the nearest fig of the other player.

We simply ruled this a "do-over" and returned the ball to the kicker.

...Scoring:
...Shots that bounce out of the goal do not count! This makes skill counts
more than power. If u shoot close at full power, its just a wild shot and is
gonna bounce out. We played both ways, but found it too easy to just power
shoot from across the board and it wasnt fun... it was much better once we put
in this rule.

Our rule: if the ball touches any part of the inside of the goal and bounces
out, it's a goal.  We got pretty good at playing goalie and stopping shots.
Plus, with the larger field, it took enough skill just to pass the ball the
whole way down the field to set up for the shot.  With the field layout we
used, the goalies didn't have clear shots on each other, so power-shooting with
the goalie was not a good strategy.

...You cant turn your goalie on his side and waggle him back and forth! (tho
if he starts 'standing up' he can fall on his side during a save).

About half way through the game, I discovered the advantage of always having
the goalie sideways, since most shots are low.  We didn't outlaw it, because
with the bigger field, each player had three forwards with clear shots at the
goal, and we chose to leave this defensive advantage alone to counter that. We
figured out how to quickly pass the ball between players to get an open shot
around the sideways goalie.

Waggling the goalie back and forth quickly seems to produce enough own-goals to
make this tactic not worthwhile.

...We played to 7 or 9 points vice a time limit.

We played to 10 points, no time limit.  We each won one game, and then called
it a night.

...Comments on my intrepretation of football rules as played in the game? :-)

It sounds like with the smaller field, you have to tailor the rules to benefit
the defense by encouraging shooting skill to make it interesting.  With our
bigger field, passing skill and speed were more important (although I did
manage to get one fullback to score a fluke goal), and I think it was a more
balanced game without having to add rules limiting player behavior.  On each
point, it usually took us several possessions each before someone managed to
score.

--Mike