 Games / 179
Re: BrikWars Rules Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.games
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:30:02 GMT

In lugnet.games, Aaron M. Sneary writes:
In the section on collisions, the rules state that a vehicles Mass is equal
to 1/5th its Armor Value. Say your vehicle has an AV of 4d10. Do you divide
the 4 or the 10 by 5, or do you roll 4d10 and then divide the result by 5?
We are preparing a Race around the Beltway demolition derby and need to know
how this rule works.

Hi Aaron,

I'm cross-posting this to lugent.fun.gaming, which is where most Brikwars
discussion takes place.  I'll let Mike give the official ruling, but as a
humble acolyte of the most holy of games:

Hmmm, I'm thinking that your latter idea, while interesting, might make some
entertaining situations.  Such as a turn in which the mass changes by 800%
as compared to the previous turn ... to which a gamemaster would be remiss if
s/he didn't say "You seem to have stumbled upon an intense gravity well, as you
feel your arms increase in weight to 120 pounds.  Roll a stupendous feat of 7
on a 1d10 to fill your incredibly heavy lungs with enough air to survive
another turn ..."  ;)

In this case, I believe you take the *equivalent* Armor Value.  For example, if
you roll an infinite number of 1d6's, you'll end up with an average score of
3.5.  Likewise, a 1d8 has an average score of 4.5, a 1d10 has an average score
of 5.5, a 1d12 has an average score of 6.5, and a 1d20 has an average score of
10.5 (for an even-sided consecutive-integer die, the formula is (low_value +
high_value)/2 ).

Therefore, the equivalent Armor Value of something with a 1d6 AV is 3.5.

Applying this to your case, you have 4d10 = 4 x 1d10 -> 4 x 5.5 = 22 equivalent
armor value.  So the mass is 1/5 x 22 = 4.4.  The rules say you then round up,
which gives you a mass of 5.

As an aside, I always round in the direction that is most detrimental to my
purposes, so as to better mimic real life :P

Mike, do I get to advance to acolyte 2nd level, with its commensurate nocturnal
choir loft privelages?

-s