 Fun / Holiday / 194
Re: Happy Christmas! from The Brick Testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.holiday
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:46:11 GMT

Hi, Samath.

In lugnet.fun.holiday, Samarth Moray wrote:
   You may not know me because I only recently started posting,

Actually I recently bookmarked your page on LEGO geometry as a handy reference.

   but I’ve been a big fan of your site and the general lego community for a year now. Thanks for sharing this with us.

No problem. :) It’s fun to share.

   Bricktestament is the only place I read the Bible.

The original is worth a read. :)

   Now my questions/compliments/comments...

What’s the deal with virgin Timmy?

What, you think Timmy is not a virgin?

   The angel seems well... rugged.

Would it be heaven if you had to shave everyday?

   Nice backpack in 1:39.

Standard Brick Testament hobo stick, first seen on Cain.

   How’d you do Yaweh’s arms in 1:51? are they glued on or is it photoshoppery?

Yipes, I think I cheated on that one and used some sticky gunk to keep the arms in place. I hate when I do that.

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/lk0152b.html Woah! how’d you do that? hehehehe.

I feel much better about this one. Here there is a hidden LEGO support structure behind God. The “lowly” guys on the right and left are holding onto it with their hidden hands, while the middle guy is just standing on God’s head and leaning back against the support. I wish I’d taken a making-of photo of this.

   Nice pregnancy in 1:56.

In most of the pregnancy shots, Mary is actually holding the 1x2 plate in place with her hands, but it looks like I cheated here again. :/

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/mt0120-21.html Swwwwwweeeeeet. The bed is cool. New use for the hinge roofs. I see the standard issue BPS headlight pattern too.

Thanks. Joseph’s head is actually just on a stick in this shot, which is how it’s at that angle. I wanted him to look sort of terrified and hiding under the sheets.

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/lk0201p03-05.html huh? Haven’t seen those trees before.

Those are my favorite kind of LEGO trees. The greenery is made up of LEGO granules--the same material that just about all LEGO bricks are made out of even today. Unfortunately LEGO only made these trees in the early 1970s (Peeron shows 1972 and 1973), so they’re very hard to come by. If anyone is looking for a nice Christmas present for me though... :)

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/lk0216b.html I see a departure from the regular BPS brick built animals. I like it, it adds a little warmth to the scene.

Yeah, I usually use my own custom cow, but when you only see a little bit of the cow like in this photo and on the book cover, the DUPLO cow is much more recognizeable as a cow. I did do my own custom pig back when I illustrated Jesus’s Teachings in 2001, but I really like the DUPLO baby pig, so I switched over to that for the Demoniac stories.

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/mt0209.html ouch. That’s gotta hurt ;-P

You got a better way to show a wise man straddling a camel? ;)

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/mt0204-05.html Very interesting throne design. I love the way you always come up with new designs for old stuff each time.

Keeps it interesting.

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/mt0216b.html Trademark blood and gore. Thanks.

I think it’s an appropriately disturbing image for the subject matter. The funny thing about illustrating this kind of thing with LEGO is that it can be both horrific and kinda silly at the same time.

   http://www.thebricktestament.com/thegospels/jesusisborn02/lk0240a.html sho cute! I also like the use of technic axle pins at the back. Red ones would make great town hospital detailing.

A little foreshadowing. :) This scene got cut from the book version, but I liked it a lot. Then again, I love the “modern Christmas family” shots from the book that are left off from the website.

Thanks for the comments!

-Brendan