 Fun / Community / 20
Re: Suggestions for Buildathon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:01:54 GMT

In lugnet.fun.community, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.fun.community, Markus Wolf writes:
my puppet team and I have had some dialogue about having a Lego Night.

You shouldn't talk to your puppets.. _they're_not_real_  ;-)

That depends on if you get your "real" theology from the Velveteen Rabbit or
from Toy Story.  Cuz if you're going Velveteen (not Velveeta, please) then
they've got some years left.

Task-based or free-style? What age-group are they? Could they co-operate in
teams? From a LEGO event that I went to at a local bookshop, I saw that the
kids will invariably take bricks from the boxes and not put them back, meaning
that if you calculated for, say 200 bricks per kid then some kids would go
short. Although if you split the LEGO out onto group-tables then that isn't
too much of an issue.

Good questions I need to think about.  I suppose I oughta go task-based this
time.  My original idea was to build a community town, but as you say, that'd
be alot of bricks.  Maybe go "Vehicle" would be a good way to go.

The benefit of task-based is that you can do more with less bricks by
carefully >selecting the task - eg, "making a house" will usually take more
bricks than "making an animal", or "make a mosaic".

As for where to get the bricks.. it's sad to say, but MegaBlocks do tempting
offers like 5000 bricks for $15, but I'm in the UK so I'm not really up on the
best US places to get bits. But if you wanted a lot of wheels (for a vehicle
theme) then TCS <http://www.constructiontoys.com/> do have a lot for sale on
this page

I honestly couldn't buy a bunch of MegaBlocks.  I have my own set (once again
you remind me of my jaded past) and they just don't stick.  I understand that
they're better than they used to be, but I have my standards.  One thing I
considered was sending a bulletin through my church to receive Lego donations
from raided basements and attics, or even donate new ones.  My church is
pretty good "giving" church.

<http://www.constructiontoys.com/products/lego/dacta/system/suppl/index.html>,
not sure if that is good value or not, or how much you are willing to spend!
They have more DACTA under the "LEGO DACTA" link from the main page.

I don't think that you're the first person who's talked about wanting to do a
local event, maybe it would be possible to start up a LUGNET community
jambalaya-type collection that could be sent around from event to event - • you'd
have to look into the postage rates (it would be quite heavy)..but if it cost
say $20-$50 (1) to post it per event.. then that would be a fair price?

That's a brilliant idea but I don't know how to start something like that.
Time is on my side, however, in that I control the events and I could wait for
a Buildathon 6 months from now.

If you want more ideas on what to do during the event, then lugnet.edu has a
few bits and bobs that you may find useful.

Thanks Richard I'll follow your leads!