 Fun / Community / 19
Re: Suggestions for Buildathon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.community
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:38:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.fun.community, Markus Wolf writes:
my puppet team and I have had some dialogue about having a Lego Night.

You shouldn't talk to your puppets.. _they're_not_real_  ;-)

I've
wandered around Lugnet and tried some search engines, but I don't know how to
get enough bricks for 80+ kids to have a couple hours worth of good time.
There's got to be someone here who's done this before.
   One of my team members had concern of kids swiping bricks but was willing
to donate all his Megablocks to the cause.  (What a hero.)  Any issues I need
to consider and respective solutions?  How much bricks do I need?

Task-based or free-style? What age-group are they? Could they co-operate in
teams? From a LEGO event that I went to at a local bookshop, I saw that the
kids will invariably take bricks from the boxes and not put them back, meaning
that if you calculated for, say 200 bricks per kid then some kids would go
short. Although if you split the LEGO out onto group-tables then that isn't too
much of an issue.

The benefit of task-based is that you can do more with less bricks by carefully
selecting the task - eg, "making a house" will usually take more bricks than
"making an animal", or "make a mosaic".

As for where to get the bricks.. it's sad to say, but MegaBlocks do do tempting
offers like 5000 bricks for $15, but I'm in the UK so I'm not really up on the
best US places to get bits. But if you wanted a lot of wheels (for a vehicle
theme) then TCS <http://www.constructiontoys.com/> do have a lot for sale on
this page
<http://www.constructiontoys.com/products/lego/dacta/system/suppl/index.html>,
not sure if that is good value or not, or how much you are willing to spend!
They have more DACTA under the "LEGO DACTA" link from the main page.

I don't think that you're the first person who's talked about wanting to do a
local event, maybe it would be possible to start up a LUGNET community
jambalaya-type collection that could be sent around from event to event - you'd
have to look into the postage rates (it would be quite heavy)..but if it cost
say $20-$50 (1) to post it per event.. then that would be a fair price?

If you want more ideas on what to do during the event, then lugnet.edu has a
few bits and bobs that you may find useful.

Richard

1 - Rough figures for a 50 pound parcel on the usps site