 FAQ / 707
Re: Less-Common Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:52:48 GMT

<snip>
I think the answer that Todd suggested (at the last NELUG meeting) was that
swords, lances, etc., were added because they're 'historical'... and also you
"can't have knights without swords"... as for the cannons, rifles, and
pistols, well, I think the 'rule' just got more and more bent. Besides, again,
15th century ships just wouldn't be right without a cannon hanging out the
side... But you will notice that modern day lego has no weapons... The police
don't even get sticks... tough to catch Jailbreak Joe that way, I guess.

You will also notice that there are not any real hand-held blasters in Star
Wars.  The closest they have come to blasters is a Classic Space camera thingy
for the Rebel Soldier in the Snowspeeder set and Megaphones with trans-red 1x1
cones stuck to the end for the Battle Droids in the Naboo Fighter set.

I definately think that TLG lost its non-violance stand when they released the
rifle and pistol.  I think I can live with Swords and even maybe the musket as
being historical but why does Johnny Thunder need a Gun to find his lost
treasure.  I think they could have easily left Guns out of the Adventurers and
Ninja lines and not lost a thing as far as saleability/playability.

I say either no Guns or have Guns.  No in between.  I would love to have some
decent looking blasters for Star Wars so my vote would be to Give the Cops Guns
and create some Blasters.  On the other hand if TLG were to decide no more guns
I would be happy with that.  I just don't like the wishy-washyness that exists
today where guns are OK historically but have no place in the present/future.

My 2 cents

Eric K.

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/