 FAQ / 525
Re: Temporary outage of FAQ work
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:55:42 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Robert Munafo wrote:
That would be great. So far, everything I've seen in this discussion
group is people talking about how to create a complex system [...] and
no actual FAQs.

Okay, I have to take some of this back now. I have actually found some FAQs in
this newsgroup that were posted before I jumped in and started stirring things
up -- the LDraw FAQs. I had ignored them because I had already read the LDraw
FAQ on http://www.ldraw.org and I was mainly looking for FAQs about LUGNET.
(and MindStorms) And now that you've auto-posted everything I no longer have
anything to whine about (-:

This is actually important.  :-,  The formatting, while human-readable, will
allow a highly-automated FAQ browsing / searching system that will be
closely tied into the overall structure of LUGNET.  It should be
significantly different from ye olde traditional FAQ once the system is in
place; the questions will be segregated partly by user choice and partly by
category, for example.  But there will also be an option to read the entire
thing as a single document as well.

I appreciate all this now. But I was really surprised people spent so much
effort on design and planning at the expense of actually producing content.
It's kind of like spending all your time acquiring and sorting LEGO pieces and
no time actually building models. (-: We've all been there, haven't we?)

- Robert