 Events / BricksWest / 682
681  |  683
Subject:
A Public 'Apology'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:00:09 GMT

Everyone-

If you've been keeping up with the forums, you'll know that theres a bit of
a rift caused by the Brickswest Competition.

Jared and I still maintain that we did nothing wrong- our movie was
submitted in good faith and with no intention to subvert any rules or to
'cheat' in any way. We followed the same rules as everyone else but
especially the rule that allowed Hali to submit GC:R, a modified version of
a film that had already won an award.
Our film, Midnight Ride, also already won an award. It was also slightly
modified in that Jared did some editing and redid some of his own voicework.
And we told Todd about it, just like Hali.

The film that came in first was Blok Wars, the film that won at Brick Fest.
It was disqualified from winning a prize for that reason and because (I'm
assuming) it was unmodified. The next film down was our film, Midnight Ride,
so it was announced as the winner. Since a certain member of our community
so loudly and brashly complained, our film was disqualified.

We are OK with the disqualified part- actually, were a bit relieved. We
never expected to win, we really only wanted our movie shown before a large
audience like the one at Brickwest. We felt bad for Wandrers ACCIB as THATS
the movie we felt should have won. It hasn't even won an award yet and so
TRULY conforms to the rules (I think, I'm not even sure anymore, they've
changed so much...)

We are not OK with being labeled as cheaters. I for one pride myself on my
honesty and I know for a fact that Jared went way out of his way to get our
movie approved by Todd and as far as I know, it was. We don't believe we did
anything wrong but we are MIGHTILY sorry if our entry caused any hard
feelings among the other entrants.

I also submitted my film METRO to the contest. It had not yet won a prize
when I submitted it and was already on the tape when the rules changed. As I
didn't expect it to win, I told Jared to just let it go and see what
happened. In the unlikely event that METRO is chosen as the next in line to
win, rest assured that I will not accept the award and will urge Todd to
move on to the NEXT in line.

In the event that Hali's GC:R is chosen, we will not protest it.
Keeping the peace among the community is far more valuable to us than any
prize so we will accept it and move on.

In closing we would just like to say that this is just one incident in over
a half dozen contests. Please don't let this hamper your efforts or cause
you to stop entering contests. It really is worth the effort. Also, when you
read what others have posted about us being 'cheaters', please ignore it.
It's what were going to do.

Doug James and Jared Gilbert