 Events / BrickFest / 792
  Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

I finally found a victim to be a part of my mad scientist scheme to become the first modified class Rail Racer(TM)[ (URL) ] engine. I have taken a 9V train motor and removed the standard electric motor inside and replaced it with an oversized (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

(...) Good luck with the race. With a motor like that, it looks like you could be sweeping the competition. We were chatting about Railracers at our last club meeting, and I perused the site, but I couldn't find any info on the length of the (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

Dang, now you've got me getting back into the mood of making the modified class. Challenge accepted. See you at Brickfest... -Rob www.msltc.org "James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message news:GyLrFq.9AG@lugnet.com... (...) engine. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

(...) Tim, There really isn't a rule for the length of the track since each club could be dealing with different space requirements. The track we use is 15' approx 35 pieces of track for each side. jt (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

Cool! Sounds like we have our first MSE race, this could get interesting. jt (...) apart and switch the wiring. (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

(...) MSE rules are what? ANY mechanism for transmitting power to the rails is OK as long as it's powered by 9V supplied by the rails, and as long as there is no more than one electric motor involved? Or just that you can modify existing train motor (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

MSE allows the racer to modify the standard LEGO train engine pretty much anyway that they want. The track will not be modified and will still only supply the standard 9volt current. So the racer must keep that in mind and design his/her (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

(...) What exactly is a "modified train motor" ?? Here's a hypothetical to make it clearer what I am asking. Suppose I construct something that can get 9v power from the track (wipers, a gutted 9V motor perhaps, whatever) and mount a large electric (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

Awwww, I got ya. When you were saying "power to the track" before I kept thinking electrical power, but now I understand what you are thinking. Very interesting concept and I agree with you that maybe there should be an unlimited division to include (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

Whoa. What YOU describe is even more radical. My hypothetical is powered by the 9V supplied by the rails. It just uses some other sort of 9V motor, transmitting motion to the rails some other way than a train motor body/gearing. YOUR hypothetical is (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)

I can go either way I guess. My first idea was to do the same as James and modify the existing train motor with a new electric motor. I was also playing around with the ideas of which both of you described here...I would assume that powering the (...) (22 years ago, 2-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)