 Events / BrickFest / 3712 (-20)
  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I'm only going to speak (type?) for myself here. I came... because it was fun. A of fun. And I learned an amazing amount of things, and was deeply inspired by a lot of the things I saw (interpretation: I will steal a lot of cool ideas from the (...) (18 years ago, 9-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

Anthony Wrote: (...) You are absolutely correct to this point (...) Well to many, including myself, a well run zoo is a cultural resource that has value and needs to be sustained and nurtured. Literally thousands of people volunteer their time and (...) (18 years ago, 9-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I don't work for the restaurant when I eat there. Thus this is not a valid comparison. Let's look at it this way: A regular venue, say, a business expo, the attendees are there for personal gain. They pay their entry fee and do their business (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Good question about volunteers. I think it's all about what's expected up front. There are all sorts of reasons why people volunteer for things... if I was doing the same thing as somebody who had a different "deal" with an organizer, I'd feel (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Anthony, I think you may be underestimating the amount of time and effort that goes into putting something like this on. Maybe not literally thousands of hours for any one person, but for somebody like Christina or Joe and maybe others too, (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Jeff, Marc and all, By all means, let's have a frank, honest, transparent and civil discussion about this stuff now. My understanding is that the public days bring in (a projected amount of) money that helps keeping registration at the level (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Kelly, you're probably right that BF being a for-profit event shouldn't affect the perceived value of what you get for your registration fee. But it might affect other things. Would people be as willing to volunteer to help run BF if they knew (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Thanks for letting us know, Joe. Personally, I'm not concerned about it - from my perspective, any profit from BF'06 is yours to do with as you please. I wouldn't care if you took a vacation to Tahiti with it, or blew it on horse racing. (Not (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) And for those of us who would have to sleep somewhere, the cost of a hotel room is likely to be at least as big a concern as the plane ticket to get there. And we all have to eat for 3 or 4 days. That pretty much equals the cost of $20/day (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Very cool Joe, Kudo's for your transparency. As I mentioned, it is my desire to find a way to attend regardless, but it is nice to know where my $ would be going. Karl PS For those of us who would have to fly in, The cost of tickets is a much (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I will have a chance at the beginning of October. Some things are still being worked out, such as taxes and fees. I already have a rough breakdown of costs based on registration, but there is some undefined info, so I would rather wait until I (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Its not my intention to flame at all. I was just making some observations. I am really just tangentially associated with the event. But I am aware that "just organizing the event as a whole" is no small thing. And it is my opinion that (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I'm not following your reasoning linking what you feel you get (or don't get) and where your money goes. Nevertheless. To make a simple comparison, do you eat at a fast-food restaurant, knowing that your money is not covering just the cost of (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

Anthony, You don't know me from Adam, I lurk more than anything. But I had to respond to this post. First off, I have zero knowledge of how the event was organized. I went in '04 and that was it. I don't know if anyone got paid or not. But I have (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest) !!

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Yes, it matters to me where the money goes. Why? What do *I* get out of brickfest? I get discounted LEGO, see new LEGO products, display my stuff, see other people's stuff and talk to other LEGO fans. Cheap LEGO - I can always get a friend who (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

Interesting topic this.... I an not qualified to judge the issue of wether or not folks should be paid, but here are a few things to consider. -Workers for Non-Profit organizations are paid. (I am one) -Gallery owners and art show organizers make (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) If you feel you got your money's worth (~$20/day) from the privilege of attending and participating, does it really matter where the money goes? Unless the event is stated as a charity event (which I don't recall BrickFest ever being billed (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I'm sorry but the minute an organizer of Brickfest starts making money off of the event itself, compensation or not, I'm not going. If this was the case this year, I'm glad I didn't go. Yes, there are groups making money off of Brickfest - the (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) What about the literally thousands of hours that Christina has given of her time to get the thing going--along with all the other dedicated volunteers in the past, and the hundreds of hours Joe spent this year to pull it all together. To truly (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: Brickfest 2006 : 8285 Speedbuild new record (pics loaded!)

(...) Well, there's all the rules right there! And the time was misconstrued by us as 2 hours, 42 minutes. We were allowed looser rules (I think we were allowed to rip the instructions), so different methods were done. I agree that a uniform set of (...) (18 years ago, 8-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact