 Events / BrickFest / 3712
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:50:07 GMT

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:

   Why do the AFOLs come?

I’m only going to speak (type?) for myself here. I came... because it was fun. A *lot* of fun. And I learned an amazing amount of things, and was deeply inspired by a lot of the things I saw (interpretation: I will steal a lot of cool ideas from the rest of you ;-).

   Now let’s say for the sake of argument that the Brickfest organizers are making a profit from Brickfest. Brickfest has now become no better than a zoo.

Huh. Well, I’d say, for the sake of argument, that if your analysis was true... I’d still gladly pay $20 a day for the privledge of attending. After all, I do that for the Chicago museums & aquarium... all of which cost more than that. I do it for family trips to Disney... which is much more than that, and I come back with far less inspiration.

   Certain AFOLs then decide to take on even more responsibility and volunteer their services to do the Brickfest organizer’s job in organizing the different themes of the event for no compensation.

As one of those volunteers... yes, and I’d do it again, and I HAD A BLAST doing it!! I also, by virtue of being a volunteer, now have a better idea of what the organizers on the level above me do. And as others have said far better than I, it’s an amazing, mind-numbing amount of work.

   That is my reasoning. Agree with it or not, you won’t change my mind.

Fair enough. I prefer continued reasoning, discussion, and keeping an open mind, especially about situations where I have evidence that I don’t have all the facts. But that’s just me.

Oh, and jumping to parallel threads (sorry)... Marc wrote:

% Would people be so eager to lug 50 lbs. of % MOCs to BF if they thought they were padding % someone’s profit margin?

Well, I guess that argument could be made for me as well, substituting “time and money” for “luging 50 lbs of MOCs”. Lately, I’ve spent a large amount of my personal money, and an insane amount of my time, to help a large profit-making corporation to try to make their product more successful... in other words, I’ve essentially given away my hard work and time to increase somebody elses profit margin, while recieving almost no compensation in return.

The company, by the way, is LEGO. The product is the NXT, and I’ve been working on the MUP or MDP for months and months. Why?

Because It’s Fun. PERIOD.

-- Brian Davis