 Events / BrickFest / 3698
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I’m sorry but the minute an organizer of Brickfest starts making money off of the event itself, compensation or not, I’m not going. If this was the case this year, I’m glad I didn’t go.

If you feel you got your money’s worth (~$20/day) from the privilege of attending and participating, does it really matter where the money goes? Unless the event is stated as a charity event (which I don’t recall BrickFest ever being billed as), I’m not concerned with the final destination of registration fees. Just as long as the bottom line’s enough to keep it happening year after year.

I’ve spent considerable sums over the years to fly cross-country to attend these events, but even if it was next door, I’d still be fine paying registration fees. Which, by the way, I don’t find outrageous by any means.

Anyone objecting strenuously to registration fees of less than $100 per person should take a look at business-related convention/conference fees (add a zero and keep going).

Kelly

Yes, it matters to me where the money goes. Why?

What do *I* get out of brickfest? I get discounted LEGO, see new LEGO products, display my stuff, see other people’s stuff and talk to other LEGO fans.

Cheap LEGO - I can always get a friend who is going to pick stuff up for me if I’m that desperate for LEGO.

See new products - all new products won’t be available for immediate purchase, and 75% of them are revealed to the public before or after the event either through official or pirate channels.

Display my models - all my models are online.

See other models - most all models are online too.

Talk to other LEGO fans - my personality seems to grate on other people so much that the only people who will talk to me are the people who already know me. How do they already know me? I talk to them online almost every day. Heaven help me if I try to talk to a Spacer or a train guy.

So... I don’t get enough out of Brickfest to make it worth my while to go if I know that my registration fee is not a simple reembursement of the cost of running the event.

--Anthony