 Events / 1908
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:56:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

   In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I’m sorry but the minute an organizer of Brickfest starts making money off of the event itself, compensation or not, I’m not going. If this was the case this year, I’m glad I didn’t go.
--Anthony

Well Anthony, I am sorry you feel that way, but I will tell you from my own personal experience that I, as a strong participant in AFOL events, have helped arrange, coordinate, setup, present, book, organize, and generally help any way I can. I was Deputy Coordinator (whatever that title means) which put me #3 in line from the top. I was involved in one way or another from October last year; as were MANY other AFOLs. We have put in countless hours of time, effort, phone bills, gas, etc to make this happen. That’s why I feel it is OK for staff to get compensated.

Now that I have stated that much, I’ll tell you exactly what perks and benefits I have gotten:
  • BrickFest registration - I paid full price
  • BrickFest Hotel - I paid full price
  • T shirts, badges, etc - I paid full price
As a matter of fact, I have never made a single penny off of any event, magazine, book, or other from ANY fan based effort. The only comps I have ever gotten is from TLG for work I have done for them in an official capacity. I do this because I choose to, feeling that I owe the community that much and because I am one of the luckier people in life that doesn’t need the compensation. However, I also realize that other people who do this work might need a little extra help, and I can guarantee you that Joe (and I am sure Christina in the past, as well as many others, too numerous to name here) put enough time and effort into this that if they took the whole lot of dough, it MIGHT cover the cost of time, gas, and money they have shelled out.

As far as I am concerned, the only thing owed to the public is an accounting of where the money is going, and Joe will be getting that out as soon as he gets all of the bookwork done.

Now it is time for me to get flamed and speak my mind for a minute. I rarely jump into the middle of political discussion but I have finally been pushed over the edge (Anthony, please understand it was not your post that sent me over the edge. Your point was very valid, and that’s why I answered it outside of my rant (g)). I have been privvy to a lot of information floating around the community, both on the BrickFest staff aliases and elsewhere in general. I am watching the community try to tear itself apart over people’s perspectives. I am seeing power struggles going on. I am seeing people getting their feelings hurt. I have seen people holding grudges and making accusations that are not always true. I have personally experienced a couple of people ripping into me simply because I am a friend of someone else. OMG!!!!

FOLKS, we have got to get over this. We do all these things because we love the brick. I have plenty of friends here in my little town and we do all kinds of fun social events around here. I don’t go to AFOL events to get more friends. I don’t need more friends. I go because I want to get together with the AFOLs because we share a common love for a toy and can often inspire, teach, laugh and be happy over this common interest.

So I will tell you now, I don’t care who hosts BrickFest, where it is, or how much it costs, I will show up as long as I do not have a family engagement and can get time off of work. I will come to revel in other’s work. I will come to drink a few beers after hours and swap silly stories. I will come to compete in robotics competitions. I will come to learn more from others. and I will have a great time. I hope, I beg and I plead for the community to start getting back into this mentality.

I will not be replying to this post again, so if you wish any further discussion with me, please send me email directly. And while I am upset right now, I still love this community and will never give up on it. For the most part, AFOLs still ROCK and are still awesome people to hang out with.

C’Ya