 Events / BrickFest / 3709
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:35:06 GMT

In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   Would people be as willing to volunteer to help run BF if they knew they were working for a for-profit enterprise? I volunteer at my local library, but I don’t think I’ll be volunteering at Waldenbooks anytime soon. Would people be so eager to lug 50 lbs. of MOCs to BF if they thought they were padding someone’s profit margin?

Good question about volunteers. I think it’s all about what’s expected up front. There are all sorts of reasons why people volunteer for things... if I was doing the same thing as somebody who had a different “deal” with an organizer, I’d feel shafted. If I thought that the organizer knew they’d be rolling in green after the event, and was putting on the event only for profit, I’d hesitate to volunteer. (That’s different from paid attendance, where the organization structure wouldn’t necessarily matter to me as an attendee.) But if it’s clear up-front that I’m a volunteer at an event, and everybody else is volunteering too, I wouldn’t worry too much.

Unless Joe drove up in a Lamborghini. Then I’d stick out my hand. ;) Disproportionate rewards would be a source of friction, I’m sure. But that hasn’t happened, and with the people involved, I don’t expect it to.

I’m pretty sure the goal is a net-zero end result, erring on the side of having too much left over at the end, rather than too little.

Kelly