 Events / BrickFest / 3351
Re: What a fest!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:28:36 GMT

(snip)

   I really enjoy the show and tell times, and Sunday. Think about it. Kids come in, and they see more LEGO than they’ve ever seen in their lives, but in most rooms, they cannot touch. It must be very hard for them. I know this because when they hit the technic room, I heard the parents say “Johnny, don’t touch that”.

I can echo the feeling over on the Train layout. I was talking to a family about my red train station, when the mom made a gesture and accidentially knocked the stairway roof off. (no big deal, since it just sits on top of the supports). The neat thing was showing her kids how sliding rods inside a 1x1 round really stiffens up things, making it stronger. I got a “Oh, cool!!!” comment from 3-4 kids when I explained that...wonder how many went home and tried it!

I spent quite a bit of time between working the Outlet store and the on-site store. Both were quite busy, and getting to meed Kjeld for the second time, and having a short discussion with Jorgen Vig was quite cool. We’ll see if some of my discussions with him prove worthwhile!

(snip)

   We got many many suggestions for having compressors instead of all the manual hand pumping. For SSC1, I think this is a good idea. The compressor I did have could not compete with the pressure and volume produced by human power. For the smaller models, I will never provide compressors. When kids take the pumps in hand and pump they see the cause and effect between their pumping and the model. It is a teaching mechanism that cannot be improved.

I regret that I didn’t get a chance to make it to the room!

(snip)

He was kind enough to stand for a few pictures with me. It was so cool when he put his arm around me.

Yeah, doesn’t that feel great? You can tell Kjeld really has a love for the brick (aside from the fortune that he’s received from it).

   He is a true gentleman and his love for the brick is an aura around him. He is a very gentle soul, quiet and unassuming. Spending time with him is a highlight in my life.

Having had talked with Kjeld in passing a few times at the fest, and having had met him at FLL, when I was down in the store, (we were really busy down there!) he came in to see how the store was doing. He came in, walked around a little and left. As he was leaving, he flashed me a grin as I was doing the sales pitch to customers. I almost wanted to announce him to the people buying the product, but I figured that would have made the store craziness even worse!

-Scott Lyttle