 Events / BrickFest / 2934
Re: BrickFest Highlights from a "first timer."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:46:23 GMT

i gotta say, brickfest was an awesome experience and i'll definitely be back!
so here's my take...

after a rocky start.. having to take a bus to dc, then a cab..which ultimately
cost me more than my bus fare, i walk into the doors at GMU to a line of semi
familiar faces and even familiar faces that i've seen through brickshelf
galleries and other pictorial sights.  i said to myself.. i got this bag of
goodies..where do i set uP?  and then i found myself in the mecha/bionicle room
having a go at it and meeting the creators of some of the coolest looking things
i've seen in my life! and then... they looked at my stuff and said HEY thats
REALLY cool .. how'd you get so many rahkshi!

anywayz, as the day went on, i perused through the rooms, the classic lego room
was amazing, its cool to see the evolution of lego.  in the mindstorms room
checking out the pneumatic walkers and crawlers and thusly being beat by the
connect four robot.  and into the other rooms, trying to take as many pix as i
could...without running out of space(SPACE!) i'm still banking on collecting pix
from other peoples websites..so thanks to everyone who posted pix.. its hard to
get a complete set on your own..you always miss something!
and oh yea, a round table with the mecha room guys.  very educational!

on the next day.. i did regret not doing many things.  including participate in
the star destroyer event..and the dirty brickster.  but all in all i got to meet
and greet even more people, see explanations of creation after creation.  theres
only so much time in the day. but then, i go up and find out that i won 3rd
place for one of my bionicle creations, and then 1st! man thanks everyone, i
never knew that those things would get the praise they did.  what an
experience...

so brickfest ended on sunday.. my friend came to visit me..and she got beat by
connect four robot ..TWICE!  and i had a bunch of thoughts.  i say, i strive to
put something in every room next year.  yes.. EVERY ROOM.  at least medium
sized.  i also wish i took loci to every room, plopped him on top of something
and snapped pix.  ahh so much.  my only gripe.. music in the rooms?
i say 80's or something.  i might have to incorporate that into my next set of
mocs.  i had a great time.. and my pix are posted here

www.fotki.com/poetryinmotion/lego
thats gonna have all my stuff.. i got so much more to upload..so keep checkin.

thanks to... rich, for givin me a ride home, eric sophie, adam, soren, jeremiah,
and the rest of the mecha room for the cool round table, kevin ..for taking time
to explain your pneumatics, the guys with the connect 4 robot, scott, and joe,
and the coordinators, and whoever else i got to meet.  hope to see u guys soon.
leave comments!