 Events / BrickFest / 2923
2922  |  2924
Subject:
BrickFest Highlights from a "first timer."
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:42:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I posted my official thank you post last night, as a coordinator, but now I want
to share my long-winded post of what BrickFest was like for me as my very first
Lego Event EVER.

Considering the fact that before Thursday evening I had only met two people in
real life that are AFOL, all I can say is I was blown away.

I feel like I want to make one of those Visa commercials . . .

The Event and Hotels - $588
Gas, Toll Roads - $220
New Tire - $70
My Bar Tab - Something I won't admit publicly
but...
The Community - PRICELESS

Truly, I had my doubts (doots)... I expected BrickFest to be interesting, but I
did assume that the community at large would pretty much keep to their little
groups and not be that overly welcoming.  I must say, that was truly my biggest
error when it came to expectations.  Never in my life have I been in a room with
so many people really working hard, slugging stuff, running around, organising,
sweating YET still every time I meet eye contact with someone they were smiling.
HUGE minifig grins!!! It was so COOL!!!!

I'm going to list the first 19 highlights or things I learned or quotes I heard,
that comes to mind (in no particular order) but I'm leaving the names out to
protect the innocent.

1) Attendees that travelled from beyond "FAR", that just smiled and said
something to the effect that "It's no big deal" when people asked them about how
long or the cost of their flight.

2) The MOCs.... man pics online just don't compare. As well as being recognised
by my MOCs and for my MOCs .... so cool!!!

3) Getting totally sucked into "borrowing" a robot for a Mindstorms challenge
against all my better judgement and totally loving it.

4) Gaining a true appreciation for themes that I have yet not tried, namely
mecha, space, castle, and mindstorms.

5) Learning that I shouldn't have been in total fear of geeks because apparently
geeks and freaks can coexist! Who knew? (Well except for that one that invaded
my personal space and tormented me!)

6) Publicly "falling" to my knees (twice no less!) to "praise" two of my own
Lego idols/icons.

7) Apparently a few Canucks can make more noise then expected "CANADA!!!! eh?"
You guys rock!

8) Food and drinks that magically appeared in front of me, because apparently
the rumour about "forgetting to eat" is really not a rumour.

9) While setting up one of my MOCS I say "Gee, I wish I had 50 clear 1 x 2s to
finish this off correctly, before the words are out of my mouth, like
magic....someone hands me a bag of them!!!  (If you were the one that handed
those to me, please send me an email, all weekend I kept trying to remember who
it was.)

10) An AFOL saying . . . "Apparently you are not a gorgeous space ranger"

11) The way the fans work together. Especially grateful for an AFOL that made
sure I actually made it home from a night of over indulgence, and for the local
AFOL that instead of partying, took the time out to make sure I didn't get lost.

12) Attending the Lego Triva, and realising my company will always know more way
more about Lego then I could ever imagine.  You two blew me away.

13) An AFOL saying . . . "You know, from your posts I was sort of expecting a
‘Soccer Mom'"

14) Apparently the answer to physical exhaustion and sleep deprivation *IS*...
"more whiskey please sir".

15) Auction WARS!!! and Dirty Brickster!

16) An AFOL saying . . . "You are a bit of an extrovert eh?"

17) When offering to help with a job, always find out if it will have anything
to do with "Goo-gone!"

18) Finally, half way home, the reality of BrickFest being over has hit.  I'm in
the middle of some state, at some service centre, at some ungodly hour. . .
Suddenly someone behind me scares the living daylights out of me by laying on
their horn something fierce.  When I finally turn around to make a hand gesture
to the person that I have offended with my driving skills . . . I hear "HEY
JANEY RED BRICK"!!!!

19) Getting home, and kissing my kids, then logging online, to find tons of
emails and messages from the  FANS of the brick, that I had the pleasure of
meeting.  Thank you to you all!!!

Apparently I will be buying less of your product... oops I mean, I will be
attending less of your events in the future (wink).

Janey "Red (not blue) Brick"
(Rebel "MICRO!!!!" yell)