 Events / BrickFest / 2819
Re: Organized photography?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 05:35:41 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   In lugnet.events.brickfest, Tommy Armstrong wrote:

I have a small mini-studio that I could bring for individual pics if it would be useful. Gives a nice graded background and can use poster board or fabric on it.

Tommy Armstrong

Hey Tommy, et. al.

What do you use as far as cameras/lenses? I’m having a devil of a time with depth of field in (obviously macro) shots of my MOCs. It’s so frustrating because I know if I just had my trusty view camera all would be fine. All I need is a wee bit of tilt. :)

Do you guys/gals just crank it to F64 and hope for the best? Or do you just live with the microscopic plane of focus?

Anyone try those tilt/shift lenses from the Ukraine? I’m seriously tempted, but don’t want to throw $400 down a hole to Kiev. OTOH I’ve just spent several days of my life working on a tiny plastic car, so I guess everything is relative..

Darrell

DOF is always a problem with macro photography of course. A couple of tricks that I have found are: If you are talking of digital, you can move back, shoot at highest resolution, and then crop. Shoot at 5 meagapixels and when you crop you might be able to get a 1 or 2 megapixel equivalent shot--which might be of high enough resolution. You can of course do the same with film. Not very elegant but for a computer screen, many times its adequate.

Another thing that I have done, but is a pain because I am not fluent in Photoshop, is to take multiple pictures with different focus planes (on a tripod of course) and then to cobine them in photoshop. I have a friend of mine who has this technique down pat and can get everything in focus. The obvious advantage of this technique is that you can shoot at full resolution. Sometimes you might have to shoot 4 or 5 pictures from exactly the same position and same lighting and focus on the front, middle and back of the object and then later combine them, using only those parts that are in focus. If you see something at BrickFest that you really want to capture, you might want to try that and then later on a nice winter night figure out how to combine it. PShop can do it and I AM going to learn how to do it. Such a technique would I think work great with large layouts such as trains and towns, although they would of course need to be not running.

Then again the trusty view camera is a very good method. Heck if you are shooting 4x5’s and back away a bit, you still have the equivalent of a 35mm shot.