 Events / BrickFest / 2808
Re: Organized photography?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Phillip Thorne wrote:
Those of us who've attended BrickFests past know that much shutterbugging
transpires, as hundreds of attendees try to record the fiddly genius of
thousands of bricks.  But don't you just hate the prosaic, non-plastic
background when it intrudes into your composition?  Walls, chairs, carpet;
conflicting models.

At BF-DC-2002, I took a bunch of photos in the Castle room from a low angle,
nearly a minifig's POV (see
<http://www.underbase.org/blog/archive/00000167.htm>) -- but darn those
classroom walls and ceiling!  Wouldn't a neutral, sky-blue backdrop be
preferable?  It'd be like something out of the catalogs or Idea Books.

I've corresponded with Castle chief Magnus Lauglo, and he's all for the idea, so
I'm now assembling the fabric-and-dowels I'll be using.  Since I've got a module
for the Moonbase, I'll be bringing a swath of black, too.  If the fabric doesn't
work out, I can pick up some (not easily transported on Amtrak) posterboard (at
the Ballston Commons Mall) -- it just won't suffice for wide-angle panoramas.
Either way, I'll need a passerby or two to hold up the backdrop.

BrickFest doesn't take its own photos, and asks (in '02, at least) for links
from attendees who did.  I'll make the snaps public, of course -- I'm just
trying to plan ahead for max aesthetics.  Comment?

Anybody want to bring 13 feet of a nice clean backdrop for, um, something that
I'm bringing along?  Yeah, I suspected not.  Rats.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com