 Events / BrickFest / 2354
2353  |  2355
Subject:
"My First Fest," or "PDX Freakin' Rocked"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.org.scibrick, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:19:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey all,

Everybody and Derek’s mom has been writing up one of these threads since PDX ended a couple days ago, and I felt my experience was significant enough to warrant another new topic.

First off, my Brickshelf gallery of the weekend goings-on: Clickie for piccies

As the topic title states, Brickfest PDX was my first convention ever, made even more special by the fact that it was all about Lego. I flew up from my native sunny Los Angeles, California to overcast, often-rainy Portland, Oregon on Thursday afternoon and made my way quickly from my hotel to the convention center. I want to thank Joe Meno and Lenny Hoffman for letting this shy new guy help with the volunteer work in the main expo room. You guys gave me a way to break easily into the flow of things. :)

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were an overwhelming flurry of sessions, oggling over mocs, and fun banter with old and new(1) friends. The public opening was such an exciting event for me in getting to see young and old alike basking in the glory that is Lego. A huge thank you to the organizers of the fest, you guys did an amazing job!!

(1)I’ve had the chance to get to know many .spacers via chat, so while I already knew them as friends online this was my first opportunity to meet a lot of them in person.

Some other thanks:
  • Jon P., Mark S., Bruce L., Keith G., Lenny H., Adrian D., Gary M.: You guys are totally awesome. Thanks for making me feel welcome. It was like seeing old friends again. :) .Space! Scibrick is something I’d very much like to be a part of, as soon as the age restriction gets figured out. :p Jon your efforts with the moonbase were great, and you’re very good at ruining surprises for kids. :p Mark, it was an honor to be a part of the 3vil neighborhood. Bruce, I’m really glad we were both able to have our hoverships there, and that you won an award for your awesome work. Keith... yeah, nm. Your mom took the words out of my mouth.

  • Joe M., Ryan R., Tony H., Thomas R., Larry and Nik P., Derek S.: I had a chance to meet you guys for the first time ever at PDX, and I enjoyed the words, meals, and fun times we shared over a very busy period.

Big thanks again to everyone for making PDX such an incredible experience :D

--Ryan W.