 Events / 680
Re: What kinds of LEGO-based conventions do you want?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:02:03 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:
Right. I do think though, that you are getting two sets of answers to the
one poll question... one set from people who like to put on MOC displays for
the general public to view, like a train layout at a show (which requires
that people are there with the layout when it's on display), and one set who
want to display their MOCs to other conf attendees and look at otehr
people's MOC's, without necessarily having to be with them all teh time
(assuming other attendees know how to be careful of normally rugged Lego
models).

It makes a difference to me. I can be part of displays for the GP several
times a year right here at home, and although I enjoy it, at a con I'd
rather spend my time doing things otehr than guarding my models... but I DO
want to display my MOCs for other attendees and see theirs.

Does the distinction make sense?

It definitely does to me. It was one of the issues I had with
BricksWest. The "official" display space was all public display. There
were a few tables (and a stage (1)) in the session rooms which got
appropriated for unguarded display for attendees. The setup of
BricksWest almost felt to me like a big train show for the public, with
some stuff for the AFOLs on the side. I'm concerned that with the push
for the whole thing to be in LLC next year that it will be even more of
an event for the public (2).

To me, a LEGO con is an opportunity for fans to get together to share
ideas, and do things like play the Pirate Game which require a bunch of
people. A major part of the experience for me is being able to handle
things (of course even in an AFOL con, some things should only be
handled with direct permission of the owner - but I was perfectly cool
with AFOLS opening my seaport, and obviously the Pirate Game is all
about handling and playing with the LEGO.

The hands on thing doesn't work well with the public, and one has to
give real consideration to the fact that if a kid sees you handing a
robust MOC to a visitor to look at in detail, the kid may feel it is OK
to pick things up and pick up a very fragile model. This is also the
slight concern I have with young kids of AFOLS at train shows. Sure,
little Johnny knows he should only play with daddy's part of the
display, but the little kid on the other side of the rope doesn't know
that and just sees a little kid playing and wants to do the same
(fortunately most parents are conscientious and realize the kid inside
the table does get to play while their kid doesn't, and explains it to
their little kid).

(1) I appropriated the stage for several hours for a 12v setup.

(2) I still plan to attend and see what it actually is, but as Kevin
says, I have more than enough opportunities to put on a public display
here in Portland.

Frank