 Events / 354
Re: US Lug Event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:04:11 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.events, Richard Schoonover writes:
Hi

With all the talk about a west coast Brickfest, it made me wonder if anyone
would be willing to go to a national event.

I'm sensing a minor disconnect. I viewed the Brickfest I just attended *as*
a national event. It just happened to be in DC because that's where the
organizers are... Look at the roster of attendees, they came from a lot of
places (yes, the east coast predominates, unfortunately)

Does everyone else view it as a regional event?

The proposals floating around now for concurrent events, and for more
frequent events all have the downside that except for peripatic travelers
like myself that there will be less attendence from far away.

Something I want to throw out for consideration to examine if the
feelings of dilution by having more events are negative. Where do you
draw the line? If more frequent events are dilutive, I would by
extension argue then that ANY gathering, even of two AFOL roommates in
their own home would be dilutive. Clearly that's ridiculous. I think we
also all agree that local clubs meeting as often as possible is good.
I'd find it hard to believe that anyone would consider my showing up at
three non-local events is bad (Richlug, Baylug, LUGOLA) and organizing a
few non-fest meets (Shiri in Boston, Steve Barile and Kim Toll in
Portland, Paul Sinasohn in California), or that my encouraging a fest
(actually two) to welcome Martin Legault when he was down. What about
train shows? What about Mindfest?

The more often we meet, the more ideas are exchanged, and the more
opportunity for EVERYONE to get a chance to meet with other folks.

On the other hand, we need to let the growth happen naturaly. If we try
and grow too fast, it will become dilutive. I suspect the time is right
for a Seattle/Portland event (there is a good concentration of groups up
there). While good arguments can be made for Carlsbad/San Diego/LA or
San Francisco also, the distances between those areas, and especially
from any other group are enough to suggest they would wind up with a
very lopsided attendance, probably half the attendance would be locals.
That isn't to say that such an event wouldn't be successefull, just that
I think the opportunity is much better for Seattle/Portland.

I do think concurrent or too close time proximity IS bad. I know it's
tough to be sitting at home thinking of (and watching) all the fun the
festers are having, but there are folks willing to travel, and there are
LD's limited resources to consider.

I would also strongly like to see a national convention which moves
around. Brickfest might grow into that, but I don't want to take
Brickfest away from WAMALUG. They started it, allow them to determine
it's future (with our help, obviously if they decide to keep it their
event in D.C. and 90% of the fan base wants a single roving con instead,
the fan base will have contributed to determining that the future of
Brickfest would become a small local event).

Consider also that if we declare that there should only be one fest per
year, you will eliminate a portion of our fan base from EVER attending a
fest because it will settle within a one or two month timeframe which
just doesn't work for them, and if it settles on a single weekend, that
will happen even more so (Labor Day weekend for example would virtually
guarantee that I would drop out, Easter weekend would shut me out for
several years, Thanksgiving weekend would probably shut me out, Memorial
Day might work for me).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com