 Events / 2302
Re: LEGO Exhibition in Budapest - lessons learned
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:00:11 GMT

In lugnet.events, Akos Kostyan wrote:
   Our club has been invited to participate in a major LEGO event in Hungary. We had two days for setup. The exhibition was running for four days, between 10/25 and 10/28, but only the last day was a holiday - the point is that the exhibition still attracted over 15000 visitors. This has surpassed everyone’s expectations, we would have been happy to have 2000 visitors per day... This was a free exhibition, so that probably contributed to the huge number of visitors. It is a pretty big event hall in a shopping mall, over 1000 square meters so we never thought the size of the room would be a bottleneck. Ventillation was a problem even so the air handlers were running at the maximum capacity. The organizers had to open some windows and limit the number of visitors who were let in the room. At “peak hours” visitors had to wait in the line for 90-120 minutes to get in. On the second day the organizers started issuing free tickets with a time stamp, so people did not have to stand in the line, they could come back and enter the showroom at the time stamped on the ticket. Still, there were several hundreds (or even some thousands) of potential visitors who were scared away by the sight of the line... Many families traveled to Budapest from the countryside, and some had to return without seeing the event. At one point the organizers announced that kids could enter without their parents, so at least they would not be so disappointed. Some kids were pretty brave and went in, but some said they would stay in the line with their grandmother. The bottom line is, we underestimated the success of the event - but I guess it is still better than having an event with no visitors at all.

Akos

Good job on the show! Every single event, regardless of how easy or hard it may look, provides lessons to be learned. Underestimating is a really good thing (okay, not-so-good when it’s happening) as it gives your club and the event a nice credibility that will be handy next time.

It looks like the organizers had a plan for large numbers but were simply overwhelmed. And that I would call a ‘law of averages’ situation, where all the planning did not take 15000 people into account.

Ted is right in establishing a path for people to go through and having members at watch points. The only challenge with LEGO displays when there is a path is that there are often more than one choke point - and while some are easy to work with (train layouts usually are where people linger) some aren’t.

You did a good job, so congratulations!

Joe