 Events / 1894
  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Yes, it absolutely does. I expect every cent I put in to go back to the event itself, and not the people running it. The only compensation I expect any staffers to recieve is free entry to the event (since it is more work than play for most of (...) (18 years ago, 9-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) From dictionary.com: em?bez?zle [em-bez-uhl] –verb (used with object), -zled, -zling. to appropriate fraudulently to one's own use, as money or property entrusted to one's care. Which leads to: fraud [frawd] –noun 1. deceit, trickery, sharp (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Golly Pete In my opinion no monetary compensation for the event coordinator of a major event is akin to slavery. And that is very, very unethical. Once you pay your registration fee to an event you should have no say how, where, or to whom it (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) That's an unrealistic expectation. (...) I look forward to your announcement of your own LEGO-related event, I'd like to see how that works for you. Good luck with that. (...) Tommy said it well... how can you embezzle your own money? (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Slavery is not voluntary, and they CHOSE to participate, as did everyone else on staff. Staffing a convention is not employment, it is a voluntary service to better the hobby. In addition, the money is the *event's* money, not any one (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

You've never run an event have you Jeff? First off, an event for more than 800 attendees has some expenses other than just the 'space' for panels, displays etc. Quite a few.Start with insurance., now I'm not sure about Virginia, but in my area the (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) It's not THAT unrealistic, as Jeff mentioned that he attends other fan events where the organizers work on a volunteer basis. (...) You're right - Christina/Joe/whoever could take the accumulated funds from BF and write themselves a check for (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I can understand this, but at the end of the day there are benefits in both models: 1. A for-profit has an economic incentive to continue developing positive, fulfilling events. 2. A non-profit model had a higher chance of powering through (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

I am really sad that these comments about Brickfest and if Christina and/or Joe are keeping profits and if volunteers are being shafted while whomever is profiting from Brickfest are being spoken. At this point, I don't care. I HAVE attended BF for (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Where do you get these ideas? They're *opinions*, not fact. Of course staffing a convention can be employment. It doesn't *have* to be payment-free or volunteer work. And event money *can* go to paying staff. Do you not understand that (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

I've been reading this dicussion, and have a few thoughts: First off, a consideration of what the event coordinator has to put in: - A fair bit of time, sure, not 1000s of hours (for one event), 1000s of hours is a full time job... Hundreds of hours (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I was the one who came up with thousands of hours, and I actually thought about it before writing it which is a bit unusual with me. I was thinking of Christina's total input of hours for the last 5 or is it 6 years. And I would bet she has (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) --SNIP-- (...) From (URL) allied by nature; having the same properties: Something akin to vertigo was troubling her. If you're going to go to the trouble of using the dictionary on one word at least take the time to use it on those preceeding (...) (18 years ago, 13-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)