 Events / 1896
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.events, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I’m sorry but the minute an organizer of Brickfest starts making money off of the event itself, compensation or not, I’m not going. If this was the case this year, I’m glad I didn’t go.

If you feel you got your money’s worth (~$20/day) from the privilege of attending and participating, does it really matter where the money goes? Unless the event is stated as a charity event (which I don’t recall BrickFest ever being billed as), I’m not concerned with the final destination of registration fees. Just as long as the bottom line’s enough to keep it happening year after year.

Yes, it absolutely does. I expect every cent I put in to go back to the event itself, and not the people running it.

That’s an unrealistic expectation.

   The only compensation I expect any staffers to recieve is free entry to the event (since it is more work than play for most of them) and maybe a free hotel room (nothing fancy and probably with other staffmembers) if they want it. As long as the event is a fan event, run *by* fans, *for* fans, I think this is the way it should be. All other fan events I am inclined to attend work this way, and I see no reason a Lego fan event should be different.

I look forward to your announcement of your own LEGO-related event, I’d like to see how that works for you. Good luck with that.

   In my opinion, any monetary compensation for staffmembers is akin to embezzlement (especially if it is not made known) and any money going from the event to another organization (again, especially if it is not announced beforehand) is very unethical.

Tommy said it well... how can you embezzle your own money? Christina (or Joe this year) were the ones whose names were on the legal documents, and were the ones responsible for the event. No matter how much you feel it unethical, legally and morally whatever funds collected at a fan event are the ultimate property of the person or organization whose name is on the bottom line.

Now, if you are interested in seeing the events continue, I would expect any “leftover” funds would help jumpstart the next event, or at least entice the coordinators into repeating their participation. But to be blunt, I don’t know of any laws or regulations that a private individual or solely-owned company is required to divulge financial data to its customers. You may want to know where the money goes, you may prefer excess funds be used for the furtherance of the next event... but I don’t see where any BrickFest attendee or volunteer has the right to demand or expect that information or that promise. If I were to demand that of my boss at work, or at a fast-food restaurant where I’d just ordered a burger, I’d be told point-blank it was none of my flippin’ business. And rightfully so.

Oh, and from what I understand... the more $$$ available from BF, the better the volunteers are treated.

If, as an attendee, paying your registration fee and getting value for your fee isn’t enough... you are of course free to not attend. I’ve never understood why it makes a difference what Christina does with her money after the event is over. Same for Joe for ‘06.

One final thought... a public that holds unrealistic expectations of those organizing events like this could create conditions that discourage coordinators and volunteers from putting events together. Wouldn’t that be the ultimate irony?

Kelly