 Events / 1901
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 04:53:20 GMT

In lugnet.events, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   You’re right - Christina/Joe/whoever could take the accumulated funds from BF and write themselves a check for the full amount - totally legally. It would be great if the profits were plowed into the next fest, but if someone wants to cash out at any time, that would be their right. And that’s probably why some people are uneasy about BF being run by a for profit enterprise.

I can understand this, but at the end of the day there are benefits in both models:

1. A for-profit has an economic incentive to continue developing positive, fulfilling events.

2. A non-profit model had a higher chance of powering through rough times, where a for-profit might look and the numbers and have to walk away.

   Obviously, people who work for non-profits get paid. But they can’t liquidate the assets of the organization and pocket the money. There’s a board, and tax requirements and so on. I think people would feel much more comfortable handing over their time and money if BF were run as a non-profit, with open books and a requirement to provide a public service instead of financial gain.

And if you look at the history of non-profits relative to success, there’s no guarantee that all/most non-profits are successfully simple because of the way the money is handled.

   Speaking as a potential attendee, I’m not terribly concerned about whether BF is run for profit or not. If the benefits of seeing MOCs, hanging out with other LEGO nerds, and getting a discount on stuff outweigh the cost of registration, then great.

I can even see the good side of BF being run as an openly for-profit enterprise. If there is money being made on BF, than I would feel comfortable asking to be compensated for bringing MOCs for display. If my MOCs are helping to move the turnstiles (big pic - sorry), why should I pay the same registration fees as someone who doesn’t bring anything to BF?

Worthy discussion question.

   But speaking as a volunteer, there is no way I’m working for free (and paying for the privilege) just to put money in someone’s pocket.

Fair enough. That’s certainly your right to draw the line there. Personally, I don’t tend to approach the conversation that way. I tend to approach it as what I’m willing to do. I don’t beta test software based on whether it’s open source or commercial, for instance. I volunteer to test because I have interest in doing so.

Here’s the part that I like the best about this discussion though - the community is to a point to even be having it. Think back 5 or 6 years ago... did you imagine that there’d even be potential for any fan to be putting food on the table from a full-time LEGO career?

Remember when Bricklink first launched and many people though of it as nothing more than an easy way to exchange parts with friends? Who knew that it would empower some to make real money on the parts exchange.

Did you ever think that there might be a possibility for a magazine about adult fans to be created, much less sold?

Think forward a few more years... (hopefully) there will be more conversations like this one because the oppportunities will be even greater. As I mentioned in the elsewhere in this thread, if you don’t like the current conference model, take a page from the tech community and start something like BarCamp for the LEGO community.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Jake
---
Jake McKee