 Events / 1898
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:39:52 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tommy Armstrong wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   In my opinion, any monetary compensation for staffmembers is akin to embezzlement (especially if it is not made known) and any money going from the event to another organization (again, especially if it is not announced beforehand) is very unethical.

Jeff

Golly Pete

In my opinion no monetary compensation for the event coordinator of a major event is akin to slavery. And that is very, very unethical. Once you pay your registration fee to an event you should have no say how, where, or to whom it goes as long as you are satisfied with the results--unless it is billed as a charity event in which case you do have not only the right to know where the money went but have responsibility as a citizen to to know before contributing. BrickFest has never been advertised as a charity event, or a non-profit event. To say that Christina, if she realized any compensation from BrickFest in past years or Joe this year, is guilty of “embezzlement” is absolutely ridiculous. How can they embezle thier own money?

Slavery is not voluntary, and they CHOSE to participate, as did everyone else on staff. Staffing a convention is not employment, it is a voluntary service to better the hobby. In addition, the money is the *event’s* money, not any one individual’s.

   I expect every cent I put in to go back to the event itself, and not the people running it.

So the people running the event are not part of the event???????

No, not really. They are volunteers. Events are not about the people running them, but about the hobby they are promoting.

Jeff