 Events / 1914
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:12:15 GMT

- A fair bit of time, sure, not 1000s of hours (for one event), 1000s of
hours is a full time job... Hundreds of hours maybe

I was the one who came up with thousands of hours, and I actually thought about
it before writing it which is a bit unusual with me. I was thinking of
Christina's total input of hours for the last 5 or is it 6 years. And I would
bet she has put in at least 2000 hours of time over the years. But, whether or
not, I think there has been pretty general agreement that mucho hours are needed
to do something like this.

- There's a consideration to compensating people for bringing displays -
however - that's a sticky wicket if there ever was one. Who gets compensated
and who doesn't? BrickFest could never afford to have all the people
bringing MOCs be compensated, plus it would end up seeming horribly unfair,
some pimply kid gets compensated for his little barely modified stock set
the same as the guy who fills a van with a lovingly crafted huge display
(ok, so maybe that guy gets his gas paid also and the pimply kid just gets
in free - but where do you set the line).

I think that in the future if finances due to increased public day receipts
makes it possible, I would perhaps like to see compensation for some exhibitors.
But as you say Frank, it really is a sticky wicket. What I had in mind was
perhaps compensating the shipping and insurance costs of those not able to
attend from a juried list--or from winners of other AFOL events such as
1000steine, NW Brick Con,  or perhaps the new event that hopefully will be held
in California. Or one of the English or French events. I remember seeing some
stuff done by a guy in Sweeden that really blew me away--cannot remember who or
where now, but it would have been nice if it was possible for it to have made
its way to BrickFest. Perhaps something like a nomination and voting scenario
where the fans vote on things that they would really like to see. Brickshelf or
BrickJournal might be able to pull something like that off. Or let the other
international shows decide what gets sent to BrickFest and BrickFest decides
what gets sent over there--if they were wanted to. Cost of packing,
transportation, and insurance could be provided.

Perhaps the various clubs could nominate a favorite that should be included. I
think the people coming to the event really bring their stuff to show it off to
the community and that in itself is of course a form of compensation. This year
the Best of Show got compensated with a very nice model.

Another thing that --I can hear the howls of laughter now--that an event could
do is to use some of its funds to actually purchase an moc. Over the years it
could accumulate the best of the best. And those could be then loaned to other
events. Who stores them, etc are of course questions--but Dan Brown seems to
have plenty of room (LOL).

Just some thoughts--I am sure I will get slammed.

Tommy Armstrong
www.brickengraver.com