 Duplo / 402
Re: Is 2933 Duplo Freight Train worth buying?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.duplo
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:01:57 GMT

Todd, I don't want to deny you your 2933 - it's great - but until your son
is two then go for either DACTA Push Train 9139 or Circus Engine 2931.
Supplement this with DACTA Rails 9146 (certainly in the UK this worked out
cheaper than buying the 'individual' non-DACTA elements). Perhaps buy the
2933 now as well and just hide the engine.

I gave my elder daughter the 2933 for her second birthday and there were
several frustrations that turned her off it:

a. inability to master the on-off switch (it's very sensitive, kept 'going
off in her hands')

b. bemusement at having accidentally changed direction of travel by pushing
'sensors' beneath train while handling (again very sensitive)

c. screaming fits at regular derailments caused by inappropriate point
settings - I kept telling her to plan it on paper first, but would she
listen ;)?, and

d. *major* screaming fits at inability to put the train back on the track
properly, particulary when the engine was moving (see a.).

Solution: hide all the points, direction changers etc, also remove the
engine and rely on push-power. She was three last week and now rarely
returns to the train, and I largely attribute this to the frustrations of a
year ago.

One possible benefit to 'power': a decent sized train has a strangely
soothing effect on my ten month old daughter.

Mark

PS re longevity, keep those toilet seats down!