 Dear LEGO / 5593
Re: Lego factory gallery ratings and URL linking???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:10:17 GMT

One comment I will make-- I don’t think they would want the general “rating” per se. I think there’s potential for kids to feel bad if their submitted models are rated poorly.

Doesn’t mean you couldn’t circumvent that risk, but you’d have to base “popularity” on something a little less aesthetic, like “number of copies sold”. But I fear that metric might result in not very much that was useful. I don’t know how many of the Factory sets are purchased normally, but there’s the risk that you’d see a lot of sets purchased once, or purchased in small multiples, all by the people who submitted the models. In other words, it might not be a very effective measurement in practice.

   you COULD just be given a URL - right?

Assuming you named your creation fairly uniquely, this already works (just found something with a unique name):

http://factory.lego.com/gallery/?parameters=1||Luxusvilla

I haven’t played enough with the parameters, but it looks like it’s only keyed to accept the creation name, author, OR category, not a combination of them. In theory, you could monkey with it such that you could specify a combination of author/creation name, which *ought* to be unique.

I think the issue is probably that it’s more of a hassle than they want to deal with from a programming perspective. Their app looks like it was designed to be a utility for browsing rather than for looking only at a specific creation. But that’s just a guess.

DaveE