 Dear LEGO / 5592
Re: Lego factory gallery ratings and URL linking???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:35:28 GMT

I'd love to see this added to Factory as well ... But when I lok at all the things
that "really should" be added, I realize they all take resources in the form of
development and testing... and those resources may be in short supply.

Sure NXT would be good and what about bioncle? I hope they can copy those parts
across from their in-house version of LDD sometime soon...

I don't understand why cross linking popularity with a key word search would
take a lot of development - especially when they have it working in other parts
of the site... I mean if you are setting up a gallery based social network one
of the first things you would want to implement is a way of seeing what people
are interested in... they must have the stats on the pages anyway unless they
also use a privative admin panel as well...

That, for control reasons, I suspect probably won't happen. Even if you have
every submission hand-moderated for inappropriate content ,and mandate that all
URL links be checked at submission, that still doesn't solve the problem of
control. LEGO has no way to check all the possible first-level links out of
NXTlog to figure out what has been changed from "look at my nifty MOC" to "I
hate LEGO they're the Evil Overlords (TM)".. or worse. The internet is not a
kid-friendly environment... and that consideration is a very important one for
LEGO I suspect.

I don't understand when you think people are going to change their factory
submissions to be un-kid friendly?
When a user uploads a model and description that is checked - right?
Then it is stored in the database etc... then you COULD just be given a URL -
right? Nothing hosted by lego in the factory gallery is bad because it's been
checked...
I don't understand what the difference between a walled off gallery and one that
allows people to embed their factory submission in a html page or at least link
to a URL?
For example if I want to show you my latest creation I have to tell you to
search under my user name and if the search doesn't break, which it sometimes
does, you might get to see it. This is like the dark ages of the internet!
Surely Lego is interest in viral marketing of URLs like other social networks?
I just sent my self a LEGO Factory postcard and it only has a link to A PICTURE
of the factory submission but not the submission itself! (download, price etc)
If Lego wants the awesome LDD to grow they should make the listings more
sharable/rate-able... eg:
http://nxtasy.org/category/nxt-repository/projects/