 Dear LEGO / 5429
5428  |  5430
Subject:
Technic, what happened to the good old days?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:48:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I grew up during, what was in my opinion, the golden age of technic (1992-1996
was the best). I remember seeing a technic model in those square catalogues and
thinking WOW. So many functions and new functional pieces. I remember staring at
pictures of the space shuttle (8480) and the supercar (8880) for ages trying to
figure out how they worked (and never really being able to until I got them for
christmas and built them, it was so exiting). I couldn't wait to get my hands on
the new peices (gearbox and 4 wheel drive components in the 8880, motor pump in
the airtech claw rig to name a few). I used to go toys r us and be so exited to
see the new sets cos I could open the lid and see all those shiney new pieces in
their tray just waiting to be put together. No other toy came close.

10 years later.

10 years of "improvement" and "development".

The end result:

A tow truck. One that looks kinda cool, and has some (but not much)
functionality, and thats it.

Even as a kid I had the parts and knowhow to build a model equally as funtional,
It offers no sense of "ah, so thats how it works".

No new pieces to get exited about. I'm not talking about new lift arms, existing
pieces in new colours or a new way to connect two pneumatics end to end (from
2005's XXL crane). I'm talking about those pieces that give you increased
functionality. The functionalty of the 8880 supercar was made possible bacause
of the numerous new elements it had. Some may argue that the cost of designing
new elements may be prohibitive. However TLG design and manufacture numerous new
parts every year (flexible axles and corrugated tubing, fairings, the whole
bionicle line, etc), so why don't they design some new parts that enforce the
idea of the technic range (the idea of technic being functionality, not just
looks). This new tow truck model would be great if it had spline shafts and a
differential with a crown gear on it and one or two other new elements to give
it live axles and suspention. Last years XXL crane was good (one of the best
things being the peice count) but it would be so much better with one long
pneumatic instead of the two short ones. And even an extra long one for
extending the boom and using the motor to rotate the crane instead. And those
new pieces described earlier being used again to give it live axels and
suspention too. DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

I wonder what new technic components the people of lugnet would like to see.
Parts for a helicopter that enable the blades to tilt in all directions and
change pitch in a sleek and compact design (and with little friction to make
life easier for a motor) maybe. Or a rotary pneumatic actuator. Power steering
parts perhaps. I would really like the syncromesh gears done in all the sizes of
the normal gears and a couple of well designed components that allow you to
mount the gear stick anywhere and with smooth gear changes like the 8880
(changing gears in the super street sensation was horrible).
Drive/steer/supention elements with very low friction and can take lots of
tourque without breaking and can be packeged into a medium sized model (like the
dakoter wrecker) or a large one (like the 4x4 off roader).

Bring back the old box design too (with trays, I like my instructions and
sticker sheet intact and being able to see all the pieces by lifting the lid,
and all the special new pieces in a display tray) and an alternative model that
isn't just a variation of the first model!

I really think a model can be made as complex as you like. If the instructions
are clear then 11-16 year olds will have no problem assembling them.

Just my two cents! Any thoughts?