 Dear LEGO / 5233
5232  |  5234
Subject:
A few requests to enhance the System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:58:22 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear Lego,

First the biggies:

- As you make the return to fiscal solvency that Mr. Knudstorp will
hopefully accomplish beyond your expectations, please consider permanently
retiring the gray, dark gray and brown colors.  For me, one of the greatest
principles of the Lego System of Play is backwards compatibility.  These new
colors do not adhere to this principle.

- Please do not phase out fingered hinges with click-hinges.  Both designs
have unique uses and both should be preserved.

- When introducing new pieces, please make an effort to produce them in as
many colors as possible to expand the building possibilities.

- Please populate Lego City with sets other than police and fire stations,
construction vehicles and repair shops.  What do the citizens of Lego City
do when they're not fighting crime, putting out fires, building skyscrapers,
or getting their car fixed?  How many policemen and firefighters does this
town need?  Are the citizens that unruly?  :-P

Secondly, lots of little things:

- Please make more of the wonderful architectural elements that appear only
in the Belville lines available in sets that are actually sold in stores.
The more I familiarize myself with these sets (which are only available
through Shop At Home), the more I discover fantastic pieces that I would
love to purchase and use if only I'd known about them.

- Please consider always designing "mirror" or inverse versions of your
various sloped and angled pieces.  You've done a great job with that on the
new long, curved slopes that have recently come out.  However, many other
pieces that have long been in production still do not have their inverse
version.  For example, The 2x4 low-slope still does not have an inverse.
The 2x2x3 steep-slope corner piece does not an inverse, neither does the
regular 2x2x3 steep-slope piece.  Also, the new 1x4 brick that stretches out
to a medium-slope on one side still has no inverse.  The more complete the
System is, the greater the building possibilities!

- Please produce more corner pieces in more colors.  The Lego System has
tons of different slope pieces but corner pieces (and concave corners) have
always been scarce.  Why is this?  Very small numbers of these pieces really
limits a builder's ability to make anything but barn roofs and many other
things!

- Please re-introduce trans-yellow as a cockpit color.  Many of my
trans-yellow pieces are from the Classic Space days and they're getting
tired!  May we please have more?

- Please design and introduce the 1x1 modified plate with eyelet/ring that
is oriented vertically.  You've done it with the 1x1 modified plate with
clip (there's both horizontal and vertical), now we need the eyelet!

- Please keep the 9V system alive by making pieces from this system,
specifically: 1x2 brick with light, 1x4 brick with two lights, 1x2 brick
with notch on bottom for electrical cord, electrical cords of varying
lengths, micro-motors, fiberoptic assemblies, and battery boxes in colors
other than white and black.

- It would also be nice to see the 9V system expanded with new elements such
as 1x2 brick with light on one side that can flash in addition to being
steadily lit.  Also, I'd love to see new versions of the lighted 2x2
medium-slope computer console from #6781 Space Police SP-Striker.  This is
one of my most favorite Lego pieces and I'd dearly love to see new designs.
As a variance on part #6551 Electric Technic Pole Reverser, I'd also like to
see a piece like this that can be permanently set from one circuit to
another.

- Please consider producing more odd-length bricks and plates.  Right now we
only 3-stud long bricks and plates.  I'd love to see some 5-stud and 7-stud
bricks and plates.  You've done it with Technic axles and those pieces are
tremendously useful.  Once again, expanding the system expands the creative
possibilities.

Whew!  Well, that's all I can think of for now.  I hope these suggestions
seem sound to you, and I look forward to seeing them "in the brick!"

David Simmons