 Dear LEGO / 5037
5036  |  5038
Subject:
parts pack request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 05:58:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

A pack of LEGO parts, one of each color - that's my suggestion.

What color blue is blue?
Which of the eight shades of orange is that?

These are just a couple of questions I run into from time to time.

I've often heard suggestions for somebody to creat a 'complete' master list of
colors and share that with everyone else.  There are several problems with this,
but the biggest is:

Short of providing an actual color chip, there is no reasonably effective way
to communicate to other people which color is which.  You can't compare a brick
color to a brick online and you certainly can't compare brick colors to a paper
print out.

We hashed this for some time at the Seattle Trainfest this weekend.  And the
following idea came up:

Can LEGO Shop at Home sell a parts pack that includes just one brick of each
color produced that year.  Perhaps a 1x2 or 2x4 brick.  Either would be fine
with me.  Ideally, it would be nice if they created some sort of color key that
identified each number to a color they sent out, but that would be extra.  I'd
suggest no use of descriptors for the colors since these may not translate well
from language to language or between markets.  Let each market come up with
their own descriptive of each color.

If implemented, this would create one new sku# for LEGO and I'm sure everyone
would want to have atleast one if not a couple for the use as a color standard
chart.  And I'm sure there are people out there that would buy hundreds of the
pack just to have lots of different colored bricks.

I know there is a lot of talk about LEGO standardizing colors and that may take
a while to fully implement, but this is something that could implemented now and
perhaps revised year to year as colors are changed or even eliminated.

Thanks for Listening

Ben Fleskes