 Dear LEGO / 3569
Re: Minifigures in Legoland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, James Stacey writes:
I remember it must have been 83 (rambling mode on) I went to Hamleys in Bath
and they had a large display cabinet with a diorama of Castle Lego - showing
off the new product line. I was transfixed by the details and design. I was
also hooked and have brought every castle set since (Dont you dare drop the
line). Similar to the dioramas in the idea books I have always found them
fascinating. New ideas and building techniques galore from the good people
who supply us with plastic bricks. I appreciate the scale needs to be bigger
for the glorious architectural masterpieces in miniland, but a room full of
cases with minifig dioramas would be divine! especially as I havent seen one
in a shop for years and all the displays nowadays seem to take the form of a
small LCD screen.

I'm sure Im not the only one to think this :)

Indeed, you are not the only one!

I remember when I was a kid, back in the eighties, there used to be a
recurring event called the 'Lego Show'. It was a show with many displays and
dioramas that travelled across the country. It was ussually held in the toy
department of a large Dutch department store such as 'The Bijenkorf' or
'V&D'. I was very impressed with those displays. I especially liked the
lights and moving parts they used and it really inspired me. When I got home
I'd race up to my room and build (what I thought were) huge displays with my
own lego.

That must have been somewhere around the mid 80's. I don't recall shows like
that being held after that, but it may also have been that my interest
became focussed on other things as I grew up. Anyway, this summer I was
thrilled to discover that a Lego Show was held in in a Dutch themepark.
There were many dioramas displayed at the show, all on minifig scale.
Several months later the same stuff was exhibited during "Legoworld 2001". A
fellow AFOL has posted some pictures of the dioramas on Brickshelf:

I agree with you that instead of the small LCD-promo stuff that you see in
shops nowadays (which are accompanied by large cardboard displays), Lego
should bring back the good old fashioned diorama displays into the stores.
After all, they show what lego is all about and that there is virtually no
limit to your imagination (as long as you have enough bricks...)

Regards,

Wessel Burgers