 Dear LEGO / 2826
Re: What Happens To Returned Legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 01:32:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
Jonathan Mizner <mizners@aol.com> wrote in message news:G74EML.F1J@lugnet.com...
  Does anyone know what happens to Lego that were opened, then returned to
the store?  I have tried asking, and it is obvious that they send them
somewhere.  But why would Lego spend money to have people painstakingly
check for missing parts?  With the exception of very large sets, wouldn't
they just throw them away?  Or do the distributors repackage them?  If they
are thrown away, would it be possible to buy opened sets in bulk?  Does
anyone know?

They do not resell them, instead LEGO buys them back and puts them into large
boxes called K8's.  They use these boxes for play area LEGO at events around the
country.  That's what I understand happens to the returned LEGO.  At Brickfest,
LEGO Direct sent a few K8 bins out for us to play with, what a treat! :)

-Tim

  Interesting.  I would like to purchase a few "K8's".  Maybe we can get
Lego to bulk sell K8's to the Lugnet community?  It would be nice to buy
bulk amounts of relatively current sets at extremelly discounted prices.  Do
you know if Lego Direct would even respond to the request?