 Dear LEGO / 2825
Re: What Happens To Returned Legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:04:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Matthias Jetleb wrote:
The Stars Wars UCS series may be the worst packaging of any retail
set Lego has ever sold.

Yea, definitely bad packaging.

The first time I saw these boxes I just said wait for them to show up at
Goodwill.
I purchased my first UCS X-Wing less than 3 weeks later for 35.00. It has gotten
so bad that when I see new sets in the store I gauge their ability to stand up
to typical retail shop wear. If I dont think it will easily be destroyed then I
consider buying it a retail price but if I think it wont hold up well I wait for
it a Goodwill and I have been extremely successful this past year. In fact the
only thing I will buy at retail anymore is Technic, everything else has to be
**deeply** (1)  discounted or a really small impulse set.

(1) at least 50%, but I really get intersted at 75% off.

For that matter, what has Lego
done to the packaging to make it the worst ever? Apart from the
polybag junk, I've always thougth Lego did a pretty good job packaging
wise.

They have used similar boxes in the past, but somehow they didn't seem
get as busted up. Perhaps the popularity of the sets and the larger
number of pieces puts an extra strain on the boxes (8277 Giant Model Set
has the same box style, but I've not seen nearly so many of those busted
open, but it only has 546 parts).

I also think that the 8277, at only USD 39 didnt sit on the shelves nearly
as long as the USD 150 X-wing. I have noticed that many of the 2001 sets
were packaged in cardboard, which should hold up alot better (and also
eleminate the need for a plastic insert tray)

Frank