 General / 26465
Re: What Happens To Returned Legos?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:27:46 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Does anyone know what happens to Lego that were opened, then returned to
the store?  I have tried asking, and it is obvious that they send them
somewhere.  But why would Lego spend money to have people painstakingly
check for missing parts?  With the exception of very large sets, wouldn't
they just throw them away?  Or do the distributors repackage them?  If they
are thrown away, would it be possible to buy opened sets in bulk?  Does
anyone know?

Here where I live most (but not all) l TRU returns or damaged boxes are
routed through
the local Goodwill. Goodwill removes the UPC from the box then uses
*way* too much masking tape to tape up the boxes to prevent people from
opening it in their store.

Lego reps may pull unsold old stock from stores (CyberSlam comes to mind)
and then resell this stock to Liquidator type stores (Tuesday Morning, Big Lots
and Value City where I live) but I dont imagine that Lego has any use for
returned, opened sets. If they do accept these types of returns I'll bet they
simply destroy them or give them away to charity.

In general the larger the box, the more likely that it will be damaged/opened
and TRU will dump it to Goodwill. The Stars Wars UCS series may be the worst
packaging of any retail set Lego has ever sold.