 Dear LEGO / 2370
Re: Will Lego Learn a lesson?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:13:05 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

No, not sure. I haven't seen the figures firsthand, but from what I've read in
two articles (reviewing the park), and from an 'inside' source, it hasn't been
doing as well as they'd wanted-- basically, it sounded like a flop from all
accounts. However, my information isn't rock hard, it's just hearsay. But
suffice to say that the only things I've heard have been negative, hence my
assumption that they're right.

Actually, from what I've read they've done somewhat better than
expected.  that was the reason given for the accelerated park
expansion.  (legoland has recently applied for building permits for a
number of new attractions which had previously been scheduled for a few
years down the road.  the first of these to open is the new fright
knights rollercoaster, which should be open soon.)

From what I've heard, the park isn't attracting as many as they had hoped,
(they're turning away people when it gets too crowded too),

turning away people when they reach capacity is standard.  disneyland,
knott's berry farm, magic mountain, and other southern california theme
parks all do this.  there is a limit on the number of people allowed in
the park at once (set by the fire marshal, I believe) and they cannot
legally let more people in.  This just indicates that on certain days
they are filling to capacity.

'older' kids are
bored silly (one child in one review was actually at the point of tears from
boredom), and adults aren't quite the type to be repeat customers. Basically,
it was catered to parents with young children-- a smaller market than it
"should" be. The only other positive thing (other than young kids having a
great time) has been that it's a really cleanly park with a good atmosphere
(good/nice employees, etc). Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea that just
didn't make it.

they are not targetting the park at older children.   Local television
advertising has been aimed at younger children.  They've also been doing
some advertising for adults, especially older people.  I've seen a large
number of people in their 60s at the park.  They seem to enjoy it, and
I'm not surprised.  Most of them aren't interested in the high speed
rides which appeal to teenagers.  They'd rather just walk around and
look at LEGO models.

--
Tim Buchheim