 Dear LEGO / 1922
Re: Lego Direct (was Re: Georgia LEGO Outlet is Cool!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:11:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I wrote:
I don't begrudge anyone finding a good deal.

In lugnet.dear-lego, Mike Stanley writes:
But you obviously do.  I see Larry has responded a couple of times
within this thread so I'll assume he's covered how wrong your thinking
is here.  If not I'll come back, and when I do, please keep in mind
that I'm _not_ one of the self-satisfied deep pocketed individuals you
seem to resent being offered a chance at the cookie jar before you. :)

Sheesh.  Even if you were, I still don't care.  My hypothetical was about
outlet stores and TLC favoring the few when they could favor a greater number
of persons.

And I really don't resent it.  I DO think, based on some of your numbers
mentioned elsewhere, that you are indeed letting bricks take over your life --
but that's your worry and not mine.

I can give a concrete example of what I am talking about.  Some time ago there
was mention of some Wolfpack sets being available somewhere.  I called and
bought two sets for ME.  Somebody else called and probably bought the lot.
How do I know?  Because by the time someone else I know found out and wanted
to score a few it was all gone.  I can assert, as someone else did earlier in
this thread, that he would tend to have wanted these set more than just about
anyone I can think of.  I think its bad juju that he got none while other
probably gloated about the quantity of stacked boxes in their garage -- mere
grist for their little lego trade/sell mill.  Here a true fan got screwed.  I
think it would be all too simple for TLC to implement some minor changes that
allows for more collectors to get what they want -- and not just favor the few.

I recall something similar as regards some small islander set.  It was noted
somewhere like the weekly specials and I called.  S@H didn't have even one of
the aforementioned set.  Now I am not positive of this, and I have no proof of
any kind, but I will assert that some one person was allowed to buy what they
had in stock. If it was maybe up to ten sets sold I guess I don't care.  But
if there was a significant quantity that might have gone ten sets each to 30
persons, then I think its a bad practice that they are allowing to exist.

And my gripe is with TLC and not the manner in which Larry P slithers over his
hoard.  And while I don't resent him his hoard -- Larry is indeed obnoxious
about it.  Its just so obvious that equates lego bricks owned with his
virility.  I might envy some of what's in Larry's collection, but not his mind-
set.

When I heard of the outlet store's practice of calling the few who might buy
in quantity -- well, I just thought it was wrong.  I think its bad PR.  You
can either agree or disagree with that -- but there is no no objective set of
facts that proves anything either way.  I do get emails from lurkers who
assure me that my views are not purely maintained by myself alone.

I assume that my views must feel like some sort of toe-pounding because of the
manner in which Larry and others have defended their presumed turf on this
favoritism.  All of the market knowledge in the world doesn't add up to fans
NOT feeling like they are left out of the loop and ignored when they could
have been included instead.

I don't know how to state it more plainly.  And the fact that some of you want
to argue about is just SO POINTEDLY self-serving, even if its not somewhat
overly self-satisfied -- but let's face it, its probably characterized by that
as well.

-- Richard