 Database / Set Inventories / 899
898  |  900
Subject:
Inventories on Peeron.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 15:50:36 GMT

Hi all,

First off, I'd like to thank Dan for setting up such a great resource.

I started off as solely a user of peeron also.  Basically I wanted a way
to determine exactly how many of any specific piece I had, based on all
the sets in my collection.  Obviously the first step is to inventory
everything, and then come up with some sort of database to enter number
of each set, part inventory, and set inventory, and then cross reference
everything to do all sorts of searches.  Peeron basically does this for
me.  The only other functionality I would want is a way to enter the
number of each set I personally own, and then I could see exactly what
pieces I have.  Perhaps in the future...

So with this in mind, my goal is to inventory every set in my
collection.  This actually isn't too daunting of a task, since I only
came out of my dark ages last November, so most sets I own are still
available MISB so they are easy for me to inventory or buy again to
inventory from MISB.  Any sets I get off ebay I inventory right away.  I
only have a few old sets from my childhood (~1980) which are not MISB,
so I will have to resort to inventorying from the instructions.

Right now I am in a mode where every new set I buy is inventoried before
I even build it.  Its much easier to inventory while the set is still in
seperate bags.  Its actually surprising how fast it goes, I'm to the
point now where even a larger set doesn't take me much more than an hour
to inventory.  If I do a few inventories each week, it doesn't take too
much time.  Although right now I have a backlog of MISB sets to
inventory due to too much ebay/brickbay buying :)

Peeron is a great resource, and I have been inventorying a lot lately,
but the more people that start doing inventories, the faster Peeron will
be totally complete.  The newer sets aren't much of a problem - but sets
older than 95 or so are harder to find, so there are lot less
inventories for those sets.  Here is my plea to everyone - if you can
inventory one set a month, DO IT!  Its not that hard, and if everyone
chips in with a couple of older sets that aren't there, peeron will be
complete in no time!

End of soap box speech...

Thanks for all your future inventories :)

Kevin