 Database / Set Inventories / 896
Re: What should an inventory include?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 06:07:14 GMT

In lugnet.db.inv, Samuel Christiansen writes:

Just a side question to add to this: is Peeron officially associated with
LUGNET?  If not, does LUGNET maintain an inventory repository?

You are in Lugnet's inventory repository; this message is in Lugnet's inventory
repository.  The newsgroup lugnet.db.inv is where inventories are stored.  You
can search them like any other lugnet newsgroup to find the info you are
looking for (if it exists).  They are stored here just any other newsgroup
message. Dunno if there are plans to link them all together as with Peeron.

I recommend that set inventories get deposited to this group as well as Peeron
so that the data will exist in more than one place.  I will admit to not always
submitting inventories to this group when I have submitted to Peeron.
Inventories should exist in both places, IMO.

As for the questions posed above (ok, I snipped them out, but...) I believe
that the most important thing about any set inventory is 100% accuracy of the
parts needed to build that set.
If an inventory is done from a boxed set, it can contain the count for extra
pieces and the identification numbers of sticker sheets and instructions.  That
stuff is nice, but not vital.
I am a casual contributor of set inventories but I personally have no real use
for them.  I might even say that they are pointless, but many people find them
useful, I guess.

I only do inventories for set that I can build with the actual pieces.  This
means that I either own the set or use scanned and printed instructions for a
set that I have the pieces for.  I then draw up the inventory by counting the
actual Lego pieces.  I consider this a perfectly correct way of doing
inventories.

Conversely, I do NOT agree with inventories being created by only looking at
scanned building instructions and attempting to count pieces.  While this can
result in 100% accurate inventories, there is too much room for errors and
omissions.

__Kevin Salm__

.