 Database / Set Inventories / 895
Re: What should an inventory include?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 03:16:28 GMT

I speak solely as a user. I usually am cruising Peeron to determine "what
set do I need to buy to get mass quantities of this part because the
Brickbay price is too high". So all I really care about is the parts,
quantities, and colors. The bag info is helpful too when I go to part out
the set, but not THAT helpful. Once I open the first set box I am going to
know what bag to go for in the rare case that I am not rendering the whole
set at the same time.

That's actually the reason we made it - not that brickbay was too high -
but since we (dan and i) rarely buy pieces separately - since then we
wouldn't have the whole set that goes with them - we find which set has
the piece we want in mass quantities - and buy lots of that set.  I know
that people use the invs for a lot of different things though -
including verifying that a set they got off ebay is complete, or even
for putting parts up for sale by set, etc. :)

The instruction and sticker serial numbers are less interesting to me,
instructions get binned and stickers put in a slush pile of "better do
something with these some day", except in rare cases (the telekoms, the Tine
Dairys of the world, both of which were bought in part for their torso
stickers for a particular MTW figure pack)

Ditto with the instructions and stickers - one day they'll get scanned -
probably when we both retire :)

That said I would say that if you enjoy doing it to a higher level great,
but I would not want to see people holding back because they didn't have all
the detail you do.

I would never encourage inaccuracy, but i agree to a certain extent.